No edges from Twitter

May 22, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I've encountered this problem several times over the past few weeks trying to get Twitter data. I set the twitter user, then to extract both friends and followers, and edges for mentions and replies to; level at 1.5, and check mark for the last tweet. It runs for several cycles and then at the end delivers a list of vertices but no edges. I can't tell if it's failing to deliver the edge list or whether there were no mention/replies to conversations - though it would seem to be the former since I've gone on twitter to verify that such mentions/replies to have taken place within the last seven days.

Any ideas why this may be happening?

May 23, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Do you have a recent version of NodeXL?  Please see "Do you import Twitter networks? You must update NodeXL" at

-- Tony

May 23, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Yep, running It works for most of the networks I'm trying to get, but just a few - ones i suspect should have the most edges - are returning no edges, just vertices.

May 23, 2012 at 3:59 AM
Edited May 23, 2012 at 4:00 AM

In the Twitter User's Network, NodeXL will create a "mentions" edge between Bob and Ralph, for example, only if Bob mentioned Ralph in his latest tweet.  If Bob mentioned Ralph in yesterday's tweet but not in today's, no "mentions" edge will be created.

Look in the Latest Tweet column on the Vertices worksheet.  If Bob didn't mention anyone in his latest tweet, there will be no "mentions" edges incident to Bob.

-- Tony