Creating Multiple Subgroups

May 14, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I am working with a moderately large network with about 500 vertices broken into about 30 groups.  I am most interested in looking at these groups indivdiually and would prefer not to have to export each separately (i.e., <export><selection to new workbook>). I'm sure there's a way to graph and analyze each group separately, but have been unable to figure it out.  Can someone help.  Most importantly, would like individual graphs for each of the 30 groups. 

May 14, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Thanks for the interest in NodeXL.

There are several tools in NodeXL to help you group nodes and manage groups.

If your vertices have a group attribute you can use the NodeXL>Groups>By Vertex Attribute feature to collect nodes into their respective groups.

Groups can be displayed "in-a-box" by selecting the feature in the Document Action (aka "Graph Pane") Layout Menu - select Layout Options from the dropdown menu.

Groups can be displayed in an expanded or collapsed form.  Select a group and set its display state using the right-click menu in the graph pane.

It is possible to filter groups of vertices as well using the Dynamic Filters option.  After removing all nodes outside of a select group you could re-render the network with only that group displayed.

I hope that helps!  Feel free to come back with any follow-on questions!