Changed GUID in newer versions

May 7, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I am one of the coordinators of the .NET Bio Codeplex project (bio.codeplex.com) and our installer checks for NodeXL because one of our tools uses it to visualize Excel network data.

I have received reports of a bug in our installer, which indicates that NodeXL is not installed when in fact it is. This is the case for versions of NodeXL newer than 1.0.1.113 (of the versions available on your downloads page). On further investigation, it appears you changed your GUID in later versions.

Ordinarily, a change to the GUID indicates a breaking change. Could you please let me know if there are breaking changes in your more recent versions?

Thanks,

Simon

May 8, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Hi, Simon:

We met when you were first developing the .NET Bio stuff and using NodeXL to get a Venn diagram.  I'm glad to hear you're still involved with the project.

I haven't changed our GUID.  Are you sure you're checking for that?  I thought you were looking for NodeXL's program folder.  If so, that did change some time back, when we were spun off from Microsoft and had to use a new company name in the folder path.  I thought I sent code to you and Michael at that time to use when looking for the path.  (It depends on 32- vs. 64-bitness.)  But in any case, please tell me what you're actually checking and I can tell you what's changed.

On a practical level, I don't think that your relying on us to notify you of breaking changes is going to be a reliable scheme.  Although I can try to remember the dependency, I'm not the only one working on this project, and there will be others in the future.  Another possibility might be for you to pick a NodeXL release that you've tested with .NET Bio, distribute that release yourself, and stick with it.  Or we might be able to "lock" your particular release on our CodePlex site so it never goes away.  I’m sure we can figure something out.

-- Tony