Installation of fails

May 7, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I tried to install NodeXL by downloading the version from the download link ont he main codeplex page. This is NodeXL_1.0.1.209.

When I unzip it and doubleclick Setup to install, the installer appears correctly, but having chosen the non-default option of install for everyone (not just me), I get the following error:

Error 1001. The installation of the ClickOnce solution failed with exit code -400

Clicking OK then gets the following error:

Error 1001. An exception occurred during the Rollback phase of the installation [...] (the message is much longer)

Once the installer quits, the Program Compatability Assistant then pops up 'This program might not have installed correctly'.

Finally, although 'Program Files (x86)/Social Media Research Foundation/NodeXL Excel Template' is created, it only contains a couple of  .tmp files. It is not deleted when the installation fails.

Is this is bug in setup, or am I doing something wrong?

May 7, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Hi, Simon:

If you are switching from "just me" to "everyone," or vice versa, you should uninstall the previous version before installing the latest one.  There are more details on this in "How to install NodeXL for multiple users" at

To uninstall the previous version, search for "NodeXL" in Windows' Programs and Features and uninstall any such programs you find.

(You can also get exit code -400 when you try to install NodeXL on a development machine that you've used to build the NodeXL source code, but I doubt that you're doing that.)

-- Tony