Transposed edge labels

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Hi

Simply put, I have a list of telephone calls between two numbers, going in both directions. The graph is undirected.

In order to deternine the number of calls between the two numbers, the Edge Label formula is "=COUNTIFS([Vertex 1], A3, [Vertex 2], B3)".

The problem is that the graph label superimposes the total of the calls in each direction over each other. How do I get the edge label to only show the total number of calls, irrespective of direction?

Thanks!

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:07 AM

I assume that your Edges worksheet looks something like this:

A B
C D
B A
A B
D C

...and that the desired result is to have an edge between A and B with the label "3," and a second edge between C and D with the label "2."  If that is the case, then one way you can accomplish that is like so:

1. Make sure that NodeXL, Graph, Type is set to Undirected.

2. Select NodeXL, Data, Prepare Data, Merge Duplicate Edges.

That will combine duplicate edges into a single edge and add an "Edge Weight" column indicating how many edges were combined.  Because your graph is undirected, edges 1, 3 and 4 in the above list are considered duplicates and will get an Edge Weight of 3, for example.

-- Tony

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:25 AM

I forgot to mention that once you have Edge Weights, you can manually copy them to the Label column.  Or you could have NodeXL, Visual Properties, Autofill Columns do the copying for you.

-- Tony

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Many thanks Tony!

I had tried points 1 and 2, but it was the final step three, as per your second post, that I did not do. Works perfectly now. :-)