Exporting a graph into a picture I can print

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Hi There - I was hoping that someone could help a novice.  I've recently created a Nodel graph and want to be able to print the full graph - but I can't save it in a format that prints well - e.g. you can't read the labels, or it only saves part of the graph as a picture.  It's not a terribly complicated graph, so can someone help me out?

Thanks

Coordinator
Apr 25, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Hello!  Thank you for the interest in NodeXL.

NodeXL can export network visualization images in various formats and resolutions.

Right-click the graph pane to display the context menu and select Image options to set the parameters for your image.

Right-click again to select Save Image As... to write the image to a file (JPG, PNG, EPS...).

It is also possible to right-click the graph pane and copy the image to the clip-board.

If the image is too small to see details like vertex labels, consider increasing the resolution of the image to a value like 4096x3072.

Regards,

Marc

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:31 PM

If you can't read the labels because they are fuzzy, you're probably saving in JPG format with low resolution and high compression and the compression artifacts are messing it up. Save in a lossless format like GIF or PNG (the most common alternatives). Just be aware of the limitations of each:
GIF uses only 256 colors (which shouldn't be much of a problem, but could cause banding of shaded areas).
PNG is designed for use on monitors/projectors and uses an RGB format. It does not save in the CMYK format that color printers use (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, blacK). You may find that you can't print the image or that it prints as a black rectangle, especially if you insert it in an MS Office document. Some printers can deal with PNG; others cannot.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Hi Marc and Bill - thanks to both of you for your quick responses and advice.  A combination of both replies has solved my issue! 

Thanks again

Jen