Problem Getting Partial Network

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I was poised to get a partial network after after several rounds of Twiiter fetches. After I clicked to get the partial network, I got the following error:

---------------------------NodeXL---------------------------An unexpected problem occurred.  If it occurs again, please copy the details to the clipboard by typing Ctrl-C, then post the details to http://www.codeplex.com/NodeXL/Thread/List.aspx.

Details:

[OutOfMemoryException]: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

at System.String.GetStringForStringBuilder(String value, Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Int32 capacity)
   at System.Text.StringBuilder.GetNewString(String currentString, Int32 requiredLength)
   at System.Text.StringBuilder.Append(String value)
   at System.IO.StringWriter.Write(String value)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextWriter.WriteStartAttribute(String prefix, String localName, String ns)
   at System.Xml.XmlDOMTextWriter.WriteStartAttribute(String prefix, String localName, String ns)
   at System.Xml.XmlAttribute.WriteTo(XmlWriter w)
   at System.Xml.XmlElement.WriteTo(XmlWriter w)
   at System.Xml.XmlElement.WriteContentTo(XmlWriter w)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.WriteContentTo(XmlWriter xw)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.WriteTo(XmlWriter w)
   at System.Xml.XmlNode.get_OuterXml()
   at Smrf.NodeXL.GraphDataProviders.GraphDataProviderBase.TryGetGraphData(String& graphDataAsGraphML)
   at Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.ThisWorkbook.ImportFromGraphDataProvider(IGraphDataProvider graphDataProvider)---------------------------OK   ---------------------------

Any ideas about how to prevent this?

Charlton

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Charlton:

The network is so large that your computer has run out of memory trying to get it.

How much memory do you have in your computer, and do you have a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of Windows?

-- Tony

Apr 20, 2012 at 8:05 PM

HI Tony - I have a macBook air, 4 GB memory, running 64-bit version of windows through Parralels.

Apr 21, 2012 at 5:08 PM

NodeXL has run out of memory.  Can you tell Parallels to give more memory to the Windows side of things on your Mac?  Here are instructions for doing that, although I'm not sure they are up to date with the latest version of Parallels:

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22626.htm

If allocating the maximum amount of memory to Windows doesn't fix things, then the next step would be to install more memory in your Mac and give even more to Windows.  With a large Twitter network, NodeXL is what is politely called a "memory hog."

-- Tony

Apr 21, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Thanks for the info Tony I'll give that a shot!