Importing/entering multiple networks into NodeXL

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Hi,

I have a question about importing/entering multiple networks into NodeXL. I am new to NodeXL so please bear with me. I currently have several networks that I want to import/enter into NodeXL. My basic networks are as follows: John has business ties with Mary. John is a member of Group A. Mary is involved with drug trafficking. Mary is based in Argentina. So my question is, on the vertices worksheet will all the vertices be grouped together such as Mary, Group A, Argentina, Drug trafficking and will all the edges on the edges worksheet be grouped together, such as John has ties to Mary, John is a member of group A, etc.?  I understand that for the edges that one vertex will have John's name and the other will have Mary's, etc.  I hope this makes sense!!!

I would appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Coordinator
Apr 11, 2012 at 5:04 AM
Edited Apr 11, 2012 at 5:05 AM

All relationships in NodeXL are stored in the Edges worksheet.

I suggest it is best not to directly author vertices: enter the edges first and NodeXL will then move a unique list of vertices to that worksheet.  This avoids error.  Once a vertex is listed in this worksheet you can add metadata that describes the entity.

Your example features several types of edges.  Edges can be represented by entering a value in columns A and B in the Edges worksheet.  The type of edge can be defined by adding a relationship type column to the Edges worksheet.

In your example, each type of relationship gets its own row in the edges worksheet.

John, Mary, Business 

John, Group A, Member

Mary, John, Sells narcotics to

Mary, Argentina, Resides in

Optionally, you can add additional attributes to these edges, for example a dollar value:

Mary, John, Sells narcotics to, $1,000,000

NodeXL can also create clusters or groups of vertices based on several approaches.  If vertices have an attribute (ex: "Teacher", "Manager", "Investor"), they can be used to group them.  NodeXL provides three algorithmic methods for dividing the network as well.  NodeXL can also map each "island" of connected vertices to a different group (called "connected components").

-

Marc

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Hi Marc,

Thank you so much for your reply and advice. I will try this!

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM, marcsmith <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

All relationships in NodeXL are stored in the Edges worksheet.

I suggest it is best not to directly author vertices: enter the edges first and NodeXL will then move a unique list of vertices to that worksheet. This avoids error. Once a vertex is listed in this worksheet you can add metadata that describes the entity.

Your example features several types of edges. Edges can be represented by entering a value in columns A and B in the Edges worksheet. The type of edge can be defined by adding a column to the Edges worksheet.

In your example, each type of relationship gets its own row in the edges worksheet.

John, Mary, Business

John, Group A, Member

Mary, John, Sells narcotics to

Mary, Argentina, Resides in

Optionally, you can add additional attributes to these edges, for example a dollar value:

Mary, John, Sells narcotics to, $1,000,000

NodeXL can also create clusters or groups of vertices based on several approaches. If vertices have an attribute (ex: "Teacher", "Manager", "Investor"), they can be used to group them. NodeXL provides three algorithmic methods for dividing the network as well. NodeXL can also map each "island" of connected vertices to a different group (called "connected components").

-

Marc

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Hi,

As a follow-up to this issue, can you tell me if I need a new worksheet for each edge list network or are all edge lists contained in one edge list worksheet? For instance using my example of John has business ties to Mary, would this edge and its associated edges be put in one edge list worksheet while the edge Mary resides in Argentina and its associated edges be put in another edge list worksheet?

Thank you for any clarification on this matter.

Coordinator
Apr 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Yes, multiple types of edges may exist in the same edges worksheet.

-

Marc

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Thank you!