how to visualize one group out of many

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Hi, my question is the following.

In the tab "Groups" I have like a 1000 different groups. I wish to visualize (for example) only "G4". How can I do this, with having the excel sheet doing calculations on all the other groups?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I don't understand your question.  Did you mean to say, "How can I do this, WITHOUT having the excel sheet doing calculations on all the other groups"?

-- Tony

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Hi Tony,

Let me explain. We are a small European Financial Institution and we would like to use the NodeXL for Anti Money Laundering purposes. We are testing it’s possibilities. I have entered round about 63.000 transactions in the “Edges”, where in “Vertex 1” I have entered the Sender of a transaction and in “Vertex 2” I have entered the Receiver. After that, I have calculated the groups via NodeXL/Analyses/Groups/Group by connected components.

As result we get more than 30.000 groups in the “Groups sheet”. This is due to the fact that lots of transactions only go from one sender to one receiver, and that these particular sender and receiver do not have any other relations with any of the other subjects. So one transaction from one unique sender to one unique receiver results in one group.

On the other hand we also find a number of groups of connected senders and receivers with more than 100 subjects within a group; so one sender sends money to different receivers, and these receivers often also receive money from more than one sender. These groups - with multiple senders and receivers within a group - have our special interest because they may be involved in money laundering. When I try to visualize only G(roup)1, which is the biggest group (269 subjects), the NodeXL simply fails.

The problem is, that I do not know how to isolate G1 from all other data. Especially when I try to visualize the network. Preferbly I would like to export the edges of G1 to a new workbook.

Hope you can help, thx!

Coordinator
Apr 4, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Hello!

The Groups worksheet contains a Visibility column that can be useful in controlling which groups are displayed.

The Graph Pane also allows the selection of a range of vertices: just click and drag a section box around the nodes you want.  Then you can right-click to "Edit selected vertex properties" and change the Visibility for those nodes to "Skip".

Each vertex can be displayed (the default) or set to "Hide" (don't show but keep for purposes of calculation) and "skip" (pretend the data was deleted from the workbook).  You can manually set the values for these cells (formulas work here as well) or use Autofill Columns to set a rule for deciding which Vertices get displayed.

Regards,

Marc

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Edited Apr 4, 2012 at 11:04 PM

You can indeed export the edges of G1 to a new workbook.  Follow these steps:

1. Show the graph.

2. In the Groups worksheet, select the group or groups you would like to export.

3. Go to NodeXL, Data, Export, Selection to New NodeXL Workbook in the ribbon.

You said that when you tried to visualize G1, "NodeXL simply fails."  What exactly happened?  Did you get some sort of error message?

-- Tony

May 21, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Hi Tony,

We have tried your suggestions, however we still fail. As soon as we try to visualize the Graph (more than 63.000 transactions and more than 30.000 groups calculated by connected components) NodeXL stops responding at a certain point. And then we can only stop the program via “Ctrl_Alt_Del”, and start all over again.

We have tried the exercise on various computers and servers giving it the best technical memory and processor capabilities we have. Again and again it has failed. To many edges and groups.

In the end we tried it with a smaller set of transactions (25 transactions and 3 groups calculated); this time we were successful. We were able to export the edges of G1 (10 edges) to a new workbook via the steps you suggested.

Of course we would like to make it work on the larger scale as well.

We think that the best solution would be to:

1. Group by connected component,
  2. In the Groups worksheet, select the group or groups you would like to export,
  3. Go to NodeXL, Data, Export, Selection to New NodeXL Workbook in the ribbon,
  4. Visualize in the new workbook the group that you have exported to the new NodeXL.

Unfortunately the NodeXL does not allow step 3 before step 4.

Do you have any further suggestions?

Thx,

Regards,

Albert

May 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Albert:

NodeXL generally performs poorly with graphs that large.  We've emphasized ease of use over scalability, but unfortunately the program doesn't behave gracefully when you approach its limits.

Not that this is a good solution, but have you tried waiting a long time in step 3, like 15 or 30 minutes?  I don't know if something has stalled, or is just taking a long time.

I will look into the particular export bottleneck you've encountered.  However, I won't be able to do that until late in the week.

-- Tony