More NodeXL Installation Problems

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Same Problem Reported by other users: "Error 1001: The installation of the ClickOnce solution failed"

I tried the steps outlined by Tony in response to others having the same problem. I did have a version installed but it is no longer showing up in the start menu or the Uinstall Programs/Programs and Features when I search for NodeXL in the upper right corner.

I repeated the "click on details steps" in the vsto file and get this message: 

Name:
From: file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Social Media Research Foundation/NodeXL Excel Template/Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto

The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
   at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.GetUserStore(UInt32 Flags, IntPtr hToken, Guid& riid)
   at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.GetUserStore()
   at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore..ctor(ComponentStoreType storeType, SubscriptionStore subStore)
   at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore..ctor(String deployPath, String tempPath, ComponentStoreType storeType)
   at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.get_CurrentUser()
   at System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentManager..ctor(Uri deploymentSource, Boolean isUpdate, Boolean isConfirmed, DownloadOptions downloadOptions, AsyncOperation optionalAsyncOp)
   at System.Deployment.Application.InPlaceHostingManager..ctor(Uri deploymentManifest, Boolean launchInHostProcess)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.IPHMProxy..ctor(Uri uri)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.get_Proxy()
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.GetManifests(TimeSpan timeout)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()

P.S Also I am a Vista 64-bit user.

Mar 25, 2012 at 6:30 PM

It sounds like NodeXL's Setup.exe program didn't work, you tried to fix it, but the fix didn't work.  Please tell me what happens when you try to run Setup.exe now.  What is the error message, including any "Details" if they are available.

Thanks,
    Tony

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM

When I run setup.exe (as an administrator) it goes up to the "NodeXL Template is being installed" screen. When the status bar goes to almost 99% I get the message Error 101. The Installation of the Click Once solution failed with exit code -400. The details are pasted in my original post.  above...

I don't mind deleting NodeXL from my registry but there are too many NodeXL keys, is there one you recommend I delete.

Thanks

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Edited Mar 28, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I think that ClickOnce, which is a Microsoft installation technology used by NodeXL, has been corrupted on your computer.  I know of one other instance of this among NodeXL users, and we fixed it by deleting the ClickOnce folder, which Windows automatically rebuilt for us afterward.  I have never attempted to fix this via registry changes and wouldn't know where to start.

Try the following:

1. Make sure Windows Explorer will show hidden folders.

2. In Windows Explorer, delete this folder, or if you want to be more cautious, rename it to "2.0.old":

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0

3. Try installing NodeXL again.

-- Tony

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I have tried both renaming and deleting [actually moving to another directory] the folder. I still get the error 1001... ClickOnce solution failed.

Also, once the folder is deleted/moved/renamed a new folder by the same name is not automatically rebuilt for me, as you suggest I should expect.

By the way, it seems that the "show hidden folders" is irrelevant since the  2.0 folder gets displayed regardless of whether this option is turned on/off, suggesting it is not a hidden folder.

Also I tried deleting all keys that have "NodeXL" in their name from the registry and I still get this same error message! I guess my machine just doesn't like NodeXL for some reason.

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:04 PM

If my theory is correct, then this problem is not specific to NodeXL.  It will occur anytime you try to install a ClickOnce application on your computer.  You may not have encountered such an application before; they're more common in corporate environments.

I found an article about fixing ClickOnce after it has become corrupted.  It's at  http://www.geektieguy.com/2007/08/25/troubleshooting-clickonce-deployment-issues/, under the "second issue" section.  However, it's pretty advanced stuff, I've never tried it, and I wouldn't try it on a computer that I didn't have a complete backup for, in case something were to go wrong.

I'm sorry I can't offer any real help here.

-- Tony