Import from Twitter user's network

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Hi all,

How can I import any twitter user networks using NodeXL. I am trying to get followers of some accounts but I couldn't. I use "import from twitter user's network" and type the name of the account but I got an authnotication error.

Any help?

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Please provide the message you are getting.  When the message box pops up telling you something is wrong, you can usually press Ctrl-C to copy the message to the Clipboard, which you can then paste here.

Thanks,
    Tony

Mar 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Below is the msg:

---------------------------

NodeXL

A problem occurred while attempting to authorize NodeXL to use your Twitter account. Details:

The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.

OK  

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM
Edited Mar 15, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Which option are you selecting in the "Your Twitter account" box in the Import from Twitter User's Network dialog box?  I think there might be some confusion over which account name you're supposed to enter where.

Try this:

1. In the "Get the Twitter network of the user with this username" box, enter the username of the user whose network you want.

2. Check the "I don't have a Twitter account" option.

3. Click OK.

If that works and you need only a few small networks, then you're done.  But if you are asking for large networks or many networks, it may take a long time to get them from Twitter.  At that point, you can check the "I have a Twitter account, but I have not yet authorized NodeXL to use my account..." option, which will help to get the networks faster.  You will be taken to a Twitter web page, where you will have to enter your own account information.  Let me know if you need any help with that process.

-- Tony

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

Actually I am asking for huge network and when I check  " I have a Twitter account, but I have not yet authorized NodeXL to use my account..." option I got the above error.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Here is what should happen when you check "I have a Twitter account, but I have not yet authorized NodeXL to use my account...":

1. An "Authorizing" dialog box should pop up in NodeXL, and a Twitter web page should open in your browser.

2. In the Twitter web page, you should enter your Twitter username and password, then click "Authorize app."

3. Twitter should say "You've granted access to NodeXL!" and give you a "PIN to complete the authorization process."

4. You should enter the PIN into the Authorizing dialog box in NodeXL and click OK.

5. NodeXL should get your network.

Are you saying that you are following all of these steps, but that in step 5 you get an error message that says "The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized"?

-- Tony

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:41 PM

No I got the error after pressing OK directly (before step 1)

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Edited Mar 16, 2012 at 1:14 AM

What version of NodeXL are you using?  You can tell by going to NodeXL, Help, About.

You're not a computer programmer who has rebuilt the NodeXL source code, are you?

-- Tony

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I'm using the latest version. I just download it from 3 days.

No, I didn't even see the source code :) 

Anyway i'm importing now a user network who has more than 1 million followers with the first option "I don't have a Twitter account" for research purpose. Until now it took about 12 hours. How much time you think needed to finish the importing process?

Thank you for your help.

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I don't think that's going to work, if only because Excel has a maximum row limit of about a million rows.

I would use another tool to get a Twitter network of that size.

-- Tony

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:34 PM
Do you recommend any tool?

I would appreciate that

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM, tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I don't think that's going to work, if only because Excel has a maximum row limit of about a million rows.

I would use another tool to get a Twitter network of that size.

-- Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--
--------------------------------------------
Mashael Abdul-Aziz Al-Duwais
Teacher Assistant
Information Technology Department
CCIS, King Saud University
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Mar 16, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I'm not familiar with the other Twitter tools out there, but perhaps some of our other readers can help.

-- Tony

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:48 PM
I have one last question please. Can I import the data as batches using NodeXL. I mean if I limit the number for 1000 for the first import, how can I request the next 1000 in the second import?

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM, tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I'm not familiar with the other Twitter tools out there, but perhaps some of our other readers can help.

-- Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--
--------------------------------------------
Mashael Abdul-Aziz Al-Duwais
Teacher Assistant
Information Technology Department
CCIS, King Saud University
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2012 at 10:18 PM

An alternative Network Analysis tool that may scale more than NodeXL is Gephi (http://gephi.org).

-

Marc

Coordinator
Mar 16, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Repeated queries are possible to extend the coverage of data collection.

However, a second query may overlap with a prior collection depending on the delay between data collections.

In other words, it is not possible to specify the exact start and end period of data collections.

-

Marc

Coordinator
Mar 16, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Repeated queries are possible to extend the coverage of data collection.

However, a second query may overlap with a prior collection depending on the delay between data collections.

In other words, it is not possible to specify the exact start and end period of data collections.

-

Marc

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Hi all,

I'm facing the same problem. Every time I try to import Twitter data using the "I don't have a Twitter account" option, an error box appears saying "A problem occurred while attempting to authorize NodeXL to use your Twitter account. Details: The remote server returned an errer: (401) Unauthorized."

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Javier

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Javier:

That's a different problem from what "nerd" reported.

Are you certain that you're selecting the option named "I don't have a Twitter Account.  It may take longer to import the network"?  NodeXL doesn't try to authorize anything unless you select one of the other two options, so I don't know how you could be getting an "Unauthorized" message after selecting the first option.  Please double-check what you are doing.

Also, please tell me which version of NodeXL you are using.  You can tell by going to NodeXL, Help, About in the Excel ribbon.

-- Tony

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply. I thought I had the same problem as "nerd" since I'm receiving the same message after performing the same action (importing a Twitter user's network). I made a mistake on my previous message, since I'm using the option to authorize NodeXL to use my Twitter account to get the data.

The version I'm using is 1.0.1.219, which I believe is the newest one.

Thanks for your help!

Javier

Aug 17, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Javier:

Aha, you really do have the same problem that "nerd" had.  Unfortunately, we never solved it for him, but perhaps we'll have better luck this time.

When you select the "I have a Twitter account, but I have not yet authorized..." option, the first thing NodeXL does is to contact Twitter to start the authorization process.  It's that very first step that's getting blocked in your case, either by Twitter itself or by something between your computer and the Twitter servers.

Are you working in a corporate environment where an IT department controls what can and can't be accessed on the Internet?

-- Tony

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Hi Tony,

I'm behind my university's connection, but I've already tried at home and it doesn't work either. I keep getting the same message.

Javier

Aug 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Javier:

Is the clock on your computer set to the correct time?  Clocks that are off can cause problems when communicating with Twitter.

-- Tony

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:03 PM
I had the same errors as both of the people above and it WAS the clock! I changed my clock to correct time and now it is taking me to authorization page :-) Who would've thought ???
Mar 14, 2013 at 4:55 AM
Thanks for letting us know that setting your computer's clock fixed the problem for you.

It has to do with some arcane "handshaking" that goes on between NodeXL and Twitter during the authorization process. The current time is one part of the handshake, and if your computer's current time is too far off from Twitter's current time, then Twitter stops the handshake and prevents authorization.

Translation: Make sure your computer's clock is set correctly before using NodeXL's Twitter importers.

-- Tony

https://dev.twitter.com/discussions/3612
Jun 6, 2014 at 9:32 AM
Edited Jun 6, 2014 at 9:39 AM
Tony,

I had the same problem and I was reading all the posts for two hours to figure what was wrong. Then you mentioned the clock problem! I set my computer clock to the correct time and it worked! You're brilliant. Thanks.

Shaho