Cascade delete edges on vertex delete

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Hi all
I've "downloaded" my Facebook ego-network by Social Network Importer for NodeXL. Now I want to simulate an attack as a scale-free network schema, so I need to delete some of the vertex. Even if is very fast and simple, I want that on deleting vertex also related edges will be deleted.
Is it possible and if yes how can I do this?

Thanks in advance 

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Edited Mar 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I assume that you are deleting vertices by deleting their rows on the Vertices worksheet.  As you've discovered, NodeXL will simply recreate those rows when you refresh the graph, and you're back to where you started.

Instead of deleting rows on the Vertices worksheet, set their Visibility cells to Skip.  This causes NodeXL to skip over the vertices, along with any edges that use them, and the vertices and edges won't appear in the graph pane when you refresh the graph.

You can learn more about this and other visibility options by hovering your mouse over the Visibility column headers on the Vertices and Edges worksheets.

-- Tony

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Thanks Tony that's exactly what I need!! Now it will be very easy to simulate such an attack.