One name created 2 vertexes, why? and how should I take care of it?

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Hi guys, 

So when I generate ties for example john-jack , john-beth , john- x , etc...  in vertex sheet at times for one player it creates 2 vertex. 

for example john is the same john in every tie, but when you go to vertex you see 2 john with obviously 2 type of degrees and other parameters. 

1- Why this happens? Is it because I should start with vertex sheet first and then move to edge sheet? 

2- Now that my data is dirty, if I delete one john in vertex sheet, does nodexl make adjustment in edge sheet? (does degrees of one john moves to another john, guess not) do you have any suggestion of how I can deal with this? it doesn't happen for all vertexes. I checked the spelling, the capital letters and all are the same but for whatever reason nodexl thinks of one person as 2 person !

Appreciate your help. 

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:01 PM

No, you should not start with the Vertices worksheet first and then move to the Edges worksheet.  Start with the Edges worksheet first, and let NodeXL fill in the Vertices worksheet for you, just as you are doing now.

NodeXL thinks there are two different "johns" in the Edges worksheet.  The usual cause is slightly different spellings, although you say you've already checked for that.  Can you post the workbook so I can track down the problem for you?  You can do so on the CodePlex site by creating a "new issue" on the Issue Tracker tab at  You don't need to explain anything in the new issue; I'll know what it is.

-- Tony

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Edited Mar 13, 2012 at 12:23 AM

You have some unwanted characters in your data.  For example, the name in cell A925 on the Edges worksheet looks like "Siri R. Kristjansson", but the eighth character in that cell, which Excel shows as a space, is actually a linefeed character (hexadecimal A0).  In cell A3, by contrast, the eighth character in "Siri R. Kristjansson" is actually a space.  Those are two different names from Excel's point of view, so you end up with two cells in the Vertices worksheet that look the same but aren't.

The solution is to clean up your data before importing it into Excel, removing linefeeds and any other unwanted characters.  I have not looked to see what other unwanted characters are in the data; I leave that to you.

-- Tony

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Very interesting. Thanks a lot for this great insight. So do you think the solution is

on my workbook find my 2 johns. see what edges my first and second john has and copy paste first john on second john on edge sheet?

that will get rid of second john in vertices sheet, too? 

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:35 PM
Edited Mar 11, 2012 at 1:14 AM

If you are suggesting that you can fix the problem by cleaning up the bad workbook, then I'll point out to you that it's bad because it contains invisible, unwanted characters.  You can't clean up what you can't see.

Instead, the solution is to throw out the bad workbook; clean up your original data, wherever it came from; import the cleaned-up data into a new NodeXL workbook; and go from there.  NodeXL will then create just one vertex for Siri R. Kristjansson, for example, which is what you want.

-- Tony