Show sub-network by group

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Hi

How do I show the sub-network of vertices and edges based on the category of certain nodes?

In other words, I categorized a set of vertices in an "Add Your Own Column." I now want to show the vertices of category "A" as well as the vertices one step away and the edges connecting them.

Thanks!!

James

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:30 AM
Edited Mar 11, 2012 at 2:30 AM

James:

What do you mean by "show"?  I'll assume that selecting the vertices and edges, which turns them red, will be sufficient to show them.

First, group your vertices by category:

1. Go to NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Group by Vertex Attribute.

2. In the Group by Vertex Attribute dialog box, select the column that contains your categories, and specify that the column's values are Categories.  Click OK.  (You have to first rename the "Add Your Own Column" column on the Vertices worksheet to something else to get it to show up in the list of available columns.)

You now have a group for each of your categories.  Groups show up on the Groups worksheet, which you can switch to using the set of tabs at Excel's lower-left corner.

Next, select group "A":

3. On the Groups worksheet, select the row for group "A".

This selects the vertices that have category "A", and their incident edges.

You could be done at this point, but you said that you also want the vertices one step away.  So do this:

4. Right-click the graph pane and select Select Subgraphs from the right-click menu.

5. In the Select Subgraphs dialog box, specify "all selected vertices," a "levels" of 1.0, and "select the connecting edges."  When you click the Select button, the vertices one step away from the group's vertices will get selected, along with the connecting edges.

-- Tony

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Thanks! I appreciate the response. Unfortunately, the issue is not about selection but about filtering. How do I filter the graph to display only the vertices of a specific group and the connected vertices one step away?

For example, I have a network of social entities and I need to display only the subgraph of the businesses and the vertices they connect with. I am able to select the group 'businesses' from the steps you outline above, but I am unsure how to hide the unselected vertices.

thanks again,

James

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Ah-ha! I found the 'Visibility' menu under 'Visual Properties' in the NodeXL ribbon! That allows the user to set the visibility of the selected vertices. I bet that will be the final answer. Thanks so much for your info about how to do this kind of selection!

James

Coordinator
Mar 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Also, please note that you can select a vertex and right-click to access Edit Selected Vertex Properties to control visibility.

You can select multiple vertices with the selection box (just drag a region around the target vertices).

Further, starting with any selected vertex or set of vertices, you can select adjacent edges and vertices from the right-click menu.

It is possible to invert the selection as well.  Then, you can set the visibility of all the selected vertices to a Visibility of "Skip".

-

Marc