Binary ties vs. group of ties?

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Let say a group of people ( A to D ) are connected to each other. (A-->B, A-->C, A-->D, B-->C, B-->D, etc..) 

Is there anyway in NodeXL that instead of creating tons of binary ties, create a group of ties?

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Do you want to create a group of ties between two vertices, or between two groups of vertices?  In your specific example, where you have five edges connecting individual vertices, what would the group of ties be, assuming that NodeXL could create such a group of ties?

-- Tony

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Hi Tony, 

Thanks for reply, 

As an example , A, B, C, D are in a group conducting a research. So A is connected to B,C,D and B is connected to A,C,D, etc...

If I want to do it in a dyadic system, especially for a group of 20-30 people, I have to spent a lot of times, creating each and every dyadic tie. Is there a way that somehow I tell NodeXL that these vertices (A to D) are part of a group and they are connected to each other? 

Hope this clarifies what i am looking for. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Hello, Armin:

No, I'm afraid there isn't anything in NodeXL that will do that for you.  If you happen to be familiar with VBA, which is Excel's macro language, then you could write an Excel macro that generates the ties for you and inserts them into the NodeXL workbook.  Or if you know some other programming language, you could use it to generate a delimited text file, then import the text file into a plain Excel workbook, then import the plain Excel workbook into a NodeXL workbook using NodeXL, Data, Import, From Open Workbook.  But it would involve some programming in any case.

-- Tony

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM

On second thought: Check out "How to Create an Edge List From a List of Items" at  Will that work for you?

-- Tony

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:20 AM

YES ! brilliant. loved it. 

thanks a lot.