[1] Groups - coloring [2] X-Y

Feb 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM

[1] Is it possible to 'box' Groups, and not change the color of the Vertices?

Other than the 'sample workbook' colors for Vertices, what are the appropriate values for the Color column on the Vertices tab?    Can RGB values be used, if so I am not having success, any thoughts here would be appreciated.

[2]  Vertex X - Vertex Y, how do I plot using these after autofilling the values?  Refreshing Graph simply resets based on the Layout type, is there an X-Y plot option?

Feb 29, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Edited Feb 29, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Question: Is it possible to 'box' Groups, and not change the color of the Vertices?:

Answer: Yes.  The following instructions come from the "How Groups Are Shown in the Graph Pane" topic at NodeXL, Help, Help, in case you want more information:

To Change How Vertex Colors and Shapes are Specified:

1. In the Excel Ribbon, select NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Group Options.

2. Select options for "What colors should be used for the groups' vertices?" and "What shapes should be used for the groups' vertices?"

3. Show the graph.

Feb 29, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Question: Can RGB values be used?

Answer: Yes.  If you hover the mouse over the Color column on the Vertices worksheet, for example, you'll get this message:

To select an optional vertex color, right-click and select Select Color on the right-click menu.

If you are familiar with CSS color names, such as Red, MediumBlue, and DarkOliveGreen, you can enter one of the names instead of using Select Color.  Spaces in CSS color names are optional, so Medium Blue is the same as MediumBlue.

You can also enter a color in the format "R, G, B" (don't include the quotes), where R, G, and B are between 0 and 255.  Sample: "240, 12, 135".

Feb 29, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Edited Feb 29, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Question: How do I plot X/Y coordinates that I have autofilled?

Answer: When you autofill the X and Y columns, NodeXL should automatically set the Layout type to None.  (Did that not happen for you?)  If you refresh the graph when the Layout type is None, the vertices won't move.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Thank you.

I wasn't putting a space with the RGB, and I think the value was being seen as a number.  I did stumble (and I mean stumble upon) the option to keep the colors with groups. 

I now understand the use of 'None' in layout. 

BTW: the help file is sweeet!

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Oh yes - one item.

The context menu (right-click) menu doesn't work for me per following instructions.  Perhaps I do not have a setting correct?

Mar 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Edited Mar 1, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Peat:

That's a known bug.  It occurs only on some computers, and I haven't been able to figure out what's different about them.  For the record, can you tell me which version of Excel you are using?  You can find out by going to Office Button, Excel Options, Resources, About.  The About Microsoft Office Excel dialog box will say something like "Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (12.0.6654.5003) SP3 MSO (12.0.6607.1000)."

To work around this bug, you can select one or more Color cells and then use NodeXL, Visual Properties, Color in the Ribbon.

-- Tony

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Thank you.,

14.0.6112.5000 (32-bit)    Hope this helps.