NodeXL not in All Programs

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I installed NodeXL on a Windows 7 PC with Office 2007.  Install generated no errors.  But I can't find NodeXL in the All Programs menu, and there is no hint of NodeXL in Excel's ribbon.

Any ideas of what's wrong?

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:58 AM
Edited Feb 24, 2012 at 4:59 AM

What happens when you enter "NodeXL" into the search box on the Windows Start menu?  Does it find anything?

-- Tony

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:42 PM

It finds some pieces of NodeXL that are on my desktop (where I downloaded and unpacked the zip file), but that's it.  Browsing with Windows Explorer shows NodeXL to have installed onto my hard drive (C:\Program Files (x86)\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template), but it looks as if it failed to integrate into Windows.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Edited Feb 24, 2012 at 3:38 PM

One way that can happen is if you install NodeXL using one Windows account and then run it with another account, without using the "for everyone" option* in the NodeXL setup program.  In that case, the first account will get NodeXL in its Start menu and the second won't.

But in any case, let's try to fix the problem.  Please do the following:

1. Open Windows Explorer to C:\Program Files (x86)\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template.

2. Right-click the file called NodeXLGraph.xltx, drag it to your desktop, and release the mouse.  In the menu that pops up, select Create Shortcuts Here.  (It's important to not copy the file.  You want a shortcut, not a copy.)

3. Double-click the new shortcut on your desktop.  Does Excel open with a new NodeXL workbook in its window?

-- Tony

* For more information, see "How to install NodeXL for multiple users" at

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:01 PM

You nailed it - I did not "install for everyone", but needed to.  What I did was:  initiate install from my everyday unprivileged account; Windows 7 prompted me to enter credentials with admin rights, so I entered information for a second, privileged account that I use only for these kinds of purposes.  Nobody else uses my PC, so my thought process was "install for just me", but after reading your reply I realized that I really needed to "install for everyone" because the install process was running as the second account.  Problem solved - thanks for the help.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I'm glad the fix was an easy one.  Thanks for letting me know.

-- Tony