Getting started with Microsoft .NetMap

Coordinator
Jul 19, 2008 at 2:49 PM
Installation and first time user issues.  Have a problem getting started?  Ask for help here!
Jul 28, 2008 at 3:21 PM
Marc,
   I'm trying to create an image a la the facebook network on the .NetMap home page.  My stumbling block is having the name of the vertices appear on the graph.  Is there a "format" option for this or are the boxed names inserted as images?  Thanks.
Jim
Jul 28, 2008 at 5:02 PM
Edited Jul 28, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Jim:

It sounds like you want to add what we call "primary labels" to the graph.  When a vertex has a primary label, it gets shown as text inside a box instead of as a shape.

You can add primary labels to the graph by going to the Vertices worksheet, which you do by clicking the "Vertices" tab in Excel's lower-left corner.  The Vertices worksheet will be empty if you haven't read the workbook into the graph yet.  If that's the case, click "Copy Vertex Names" in the Excel ribbon to fill in the Vertex column.  Now you can enter text into each cell of the Primary Label column, and that text will appear in the graph the next time you read the workbook into the graph.

All this is typically too much trouble, though, so here is a simpler way:

* Click "AutoFill Columns" in the Excel ribbon.

* In the "AutoFill Columns" dialog box, check "Use AutoFill Columns," and in the drop-down next to "Vertex Primary Label," select "Vertex."  Click "OK."

Now, whenever you read the workbook into the graph, the "Primary Label" column on the Vertices worksheet will automatically get filled with the contents of the "Vertex" column, and your vertex names will appear in the graph.

-- Tony

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2008 at 7:11 PM
Hello!

Thanks for the interest in (Excel) .NetMap!

There are several ways of representing a node in .NetMap.

The columns "Shape", "Primary Label", "Secondary Label", "Tooltip" and "Image ID" govern the display of each node.

The column "What to show" determines which of these display elements should take precedence.
1 = Shape
2 = Image
3 = Primary Label

The default is to use the primary label, then the secondary label, and the tool tip if present.

Hope this helps!

regards,

Marc
Jul 29, 2008 at 7:44 PM
After having installed Microsoft Netmap, I want to uninstall the components including the Net Framework files. However, I receive an error message when attempting to uninstall the Net Framework files via the CPanel "add/remove programs" utility.

Please advise how to completely uninstall all files associated with Netmap.

Thank you

cooperd@umumr.org.
Jul 30, 2008 at 3:30 AM
Can you tell me the error message you get when you try to uninstall the .NET Framework 3.5? I'll look up the message and see if I can find any information about it.
I don't know anything about your situation, but you might want to reconsider your decision to uninstall 3.5. It's the latest version of the .NET Framework, and as time goes on more and more software is going to require that it be installed.
-- Tony
Jul 31, 2008 at 11:46 PM
I'm trying to install .NetMap on XP under Office 2007 home and student
edition, so far with out success. 

(1) Should it work on XP?
  (2) If so, on XP using Office 2007 home and student edition?
  (3) On XP, to where should the template file NetMapGraph.xltx be copied?
       The readme file says that under Vista it goes in
       "C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates"
  (4) My understanding from the read me is that installation involves just
        two actions: running the setup file and copying the template file
        NetMapGraph.xltx.  Is this right?

Thanks,  Tim

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:19 AM

Tim:

What kind of problem are you running into?  Is some sort of error message popping up when you attempt to run Setup.exe?  What is the error message?

Here are the answers to your questions:

(1)  Yes.

(2)  Yes.

(3)  In Windows XP, the Office template directory is usually C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates.

(4)  Yes.

-- Tony

Aug 5, 2008 at 8:33 PM
I didn't get an error on running setup.  I hadn't realized that I
needed to enable the add-in in excel, which I was able to eventually
figure out.  But then I ran into a new problem.

When I enable the .NetMap add-in, I get an error message that says

The customization assembly could not be found or could not be
  loaded ...

with the details given below.  After clicking the error dialog box's
OK, the speadsheet then shows the .NetMap columns and sheets (edges,
vertices, images).  However, I can't see an "Add-in" tab in the
ribbon.  If I quite Excel and then re-launch it, it hangs with an
error box that says

MS Office is waiting for another application to complete an OLE
  action.

Note: I'm running this under XP on an Intel Mac using Bootcamp using
the home and student edition of Office 2007.  When I initially ran the
.NetMap setup, it downloaded and installed .net software.  I suspect
that it may not have installed correctly.

------- details from error dialog box -------

Uncaught exception thrown by method called through Reflection. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131604)

************** Exception Text **************
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Uncaught exception thrown by method called through Reflection. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131604)
   at System.AppDomain.Unload(AppDomain domain)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.CreateCustomizationDomainInternal(String documentFullLocation, String documentName, String assemblyLocation, Boolean showUIDuringDeployment, IntPtr hostServiceProvider, IntPtr& executor)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.Interop.ICreateCustomizationDomain.CreateCustomizationDomain(String documentFullLocation, String documentName, String assemblyLocation, Boolean showUIDuringDeployment, IntPtr hostServiceProvider, IntPtr& executor)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v9.0
    Assembly Version: 9.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 9.0.21022.123
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v9.0/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.v9.0.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.21022.8 built by: RTM
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.AddIn
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.AddIn/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.AddIn.dll
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.v9.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.v9.0/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.v9.0.dll
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument.v9.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument.v9.0/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument.v9.0.dll
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.v9.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.v9.0/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.v9.0.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Deployment
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll
System.AddIn.Contract
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.AddIn.Contract/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.AddIn.Contract.dll

Aug 6, 2008 at 5:53 AM

Tim:

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've run into.

You shouldn't have to enable the add-in within Excel.  In fact, .NetMap doesn't even show up anywhere in Excel's Add-Ins list on my machines.  Did you find the add-in in Excel's list of "disabled items"?

Could Excel have been open when you ran Setup?  That might cause problems the first time you run Setup, when some one-time "runtime" components get installed.

Please close Excel and try running Setup again.  This time should be fast (about 15 seconds), because all the other components should already be installed.  Let me know what happens.

Thanks,
   Tony

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:54 AM
Excel was not open when I ran setup.  I've tried uninstalling the software and rerunning setup several times.

In excel, I found NetMap by clicking on Preferences->addins and then manage addins.  It was on a
list of ~10 addins, each of which had a checkbox, all unchecked.  I checked the box and OK.  This
seemed to enable it.

When I get a chance, I will try installing the plug in on a PC running XP.

I guess another aspect of my current installation is that I am running windows under
the parallels virtual machine.  Maybe this is introducing issues.

Aug 6, 2008 at 10:46 PM
I just tired installing .NetMap on a Dell laptop running XP (SP2) under
a regular version of excel 2007.  I followed the new, improved instructions
without problems.  However, when I created a new spreadsheet from
the template, it showed me an error dialog box that looks like it is due
to a filenotfounderror.  I can't see what file it was trying to find.

After clicking on don'tsend, I do get an
appropriate .netmap spreadsheet.  There is an addins tab, but there
is nothing in it that is relevant to .NetMap, so I can not compute
the graph properties or generate an image.

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Tim:

I don't have a Mac/Bootcamp/XP machine here, but I did just try installing .NetMap on a Dell laptop running XP (SP2) and Excel 2007.  It worked fine, so I have to figure out what's different on your machine.

I'd like to rule out problems with the software that .NetMap requires.  On your Dell machine, can you please look at Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, and check whether the following items are in the list?

1. Microsoft.NetMap.ExcelTemplate

2. Visual Studio Tools for the Office System 3.0 Runtime

3. Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

4. Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies (this one might not be in the list)

Thanks,
    Tony

Aug 11, 2008 at 11:23 AM
tcap479 wrote:
> On your Dell machine, can you please look at Control Panel, Add or
> Remove Programs, and check whether the following items are in the list?
> 1. Microsoft.NetMap.ExcelTemplate
> 2. Visual Studio Tools for the Office System 3.0 Runtime
> 3. Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
> 4. Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies (this one might not be in the list)

I found 1-3 but not 4. This was the case on both installations,
the Dell and Mac. Tim
Aug 11, 2008 at 1:47 PM
>tcap479 wrote:
>> On your Dell machine, can you please look at Control Panel, Add or
>> Remove Programs, and check whether the following items are in the list?
>> ...
>> 4. Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies (this one might not be in the list)
> I found 1-3 but not 4. This was the case on both installations, the Dell and Mac. Tim

I downloaded and installed Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies
on my Mac, reinstalled .NetMap and rebooted the emulator. Now it *works*.
I assume it will also work on the Dell machine if I do the same.
Thanks for the help. Tim

--
Tim Finin, Computer Science & Electrical Engineering, Univ of Maryland
Baltimore County, 1000 Hilltop Cir, Baltimore MD 21250. finin@umbc.edu
http://umbc.edu/~finin 410-455-3522 fax:-3969 http://ebiquity.umbc.edu
Aug 12, 2008 at 12:49 AM
Edited Aug 12, 2008 at 12:51 AM

Tim:

I just discovered the dependency that caused the failure you ran into.  The Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies (PIAs) are installed by default with Office 2007 on Vista machines.  On XP machines, however, the PIAs are installed with Office 2007 only if the XP machine already has the .NET Framework installed on it.  If the XP machine doesn't have the .NET Framework at the time Office 2007 is installed, the PIAs are omitted from the installation.  .NetMap needs the PIAs to run.

I need to fix this by creating a full setup program that checks for the PIAs.  Today's setup program is weak in several aspects (it doesn't copy the .NetMap template to Excel's template directory, for example), and you've uncovered an additional problem.

I want to thank you for your considerable patience and for your help tracking down this bug.  We have a very small development/testing team (that would be me!), so your help is most appreciated.

-- Tony

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:25 AM
> I want to thank you for your considerable patience and for helping track
> down this bug. We have a very small development/testing team (that
> would be me!), so your help is most appreciated.

well, we're all in this together, more or less. tim
Aug 13, 2008 at 9:56 AM
Hi everybody,

where can I find a kind of user manual? I'm a total beginner in network land, but am intrigued very much.

Regards,

Tine
Aug 13, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Tine:

I'm afraid we don't have a user manual yet.  However, you can get a 10-second overview of how to use the various worksheets in the .NetMap template by hovering over the yellow Excel comments at the right edge of each worksheet -- "Edges Worksheet Overview" on the Edges worksheet, for example.

-- Tony

Coordinator
Aug 18, 2008 at 6:50 PM

There is a slide deck with an overview of the tool at:

http://cid-ae935b3cde8015dd.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Excel%20.NetMap%20-%20Social%20Network%20Add-in%20for%20Excel%202007/2008%20-%20dotNetMap%20-%20Social%20Network%20Tools%20for%20Excel.ppt

Regards,

Marc

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:31 PM
I've got it up and running. Any samples to show how to create a box with the name of the vertex in it?
Aug 29, 2008 at 4:38 PM

I assume you're using the Excel template and not the class libraries.  If so, this copy of a previous post should answer your question.  If not, please let me know.

It sounds like you want to add what we call "primary labels" to the graph.  When a vertex has a primary label, it gets shown as text inside a box instead of as a shape.

You can add primary labels to the graph by going to the Vertices worksheet, which you do by clicking the "Vertices" tab in Excel's lower-left corner.  The Vertices worksheet will be empty if you haven't read the workbook into the graph yet.  If that's the case, click "Copy Vertex Names" in the Excel ribbon to fill in the Vertex column.  Now you can enter text into each cell of the Primary Label column, and that text will appear in the graph the next time you read the workbook into the graph.

All this is typically too much trouble, though, so here is a simpler way:

* Click "AutoFill Columns" in the Excel ribbon.

* In the "AutoFill Columns" dialog box, check "Use AutoFill Columns," and in the drop-down next to "Vertex Primary Label," select "Vertex."  Click "OK."

Now, whenever you read the workbook into the graph, the "Primary Label" column on the Vertices worksheet will automatically get filled with the contents of the "Vertex" column, and your vertex names will appear in the graph.

-- Tony

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:18 PM

I am doing it from code and not the Excel template.

Thanks.

See what people are saying about Windows Live. Check out featured posts. Check It Out!
Aug 29, 2008 at 6:45 PM
Edited Aug 29, 2008 at 6:53 PM
See How to customize vertices when using the .NetMap class libraries.
Aug 29, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Thank you.

Worked like a charm.

To: finked@hotmail.com
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:45:14 -0700
Subject: Re: Getting started with Microsoft .NetMap [NetMap:31830]

.ExternalClass {font-family:Verdana;font-size:0.75em;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationFooter {border-top:1px solid #ccc;color:gray;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationPostBody {margin-bottom:2em;} .ExternalClass {font-family:Verdana;font-size:0.75em;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationFooter {color:gray;border-top:1px solid #ccc;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationPostBody {margin-bottom:2em;} From: tcap479
See [url:"How to customize vertices when using the .NetMap class libraries"|http://www.codeplex.com/NetMap/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=34561].
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NetMap@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email NetMap@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

See what people are saying about Windows Live. Check out featured posts. Check It Out!