How to handle grouping of edges?

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:04 AM

I would like to know if is there a way to enable subgroups of edges in order to get them into the worksheet and visualize in the graph pane?

Any tricks/tips are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Hello!  Thanks for the interest in NodeXL.

Edges can be selected from the Edges worksheet.  Edges corresponding to selected rows will be displayed as selected in the network graph pane.

Edges each have a "Visibility" column: if set to Skip of Hide the edge will not be shown when the graph visualization is refreshed.

The Graph Pane has a "Dynamic Filters" feature that will allow selected edges to be removed from the visualization.

It is possible to sort the edges worksheet to group edges for selection.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Thanks for the reply,

What happens if I create a new worksheet for the groups of edges like for the vertices?

Thanks in advance

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:50 AM

One more thing: 

Why is only possible grouping vertices and not edges from a programming point of view?

Tnx in advance

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM

NodeXL has a Groups feature for collections of vertices.

NodeXL does not have a feature for grouping edges (yet).

Edges can have attributes that allow them to be sorted using Excel.

Feb 15, 2012 at 4:45 PM
Edited Feb 15, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I'm not sure what the purpose of "edge groups" would be. In NodeXL, vertex groups are useful because you can collapse a vertex group to save space, or put all the vertex group's vertices in their own box, or calculate metrics for the vertex group as if the rest of the graph doesn't exist. I don't believe any of these actions would be applicable to edge groups. 

If you just want to assign visual properties to a set of edges--color and width, for example, which might be analogous to the color and shape that NodeXL can assign to a vertex group--then you can do that yourself by filling in the Color and Width columns on the Edges worksheet. You might want to use Excel formulas to avoid a bunch of manual text entry, but it's doable today.

-- Tony