Question Regarding Graph Displays....

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Hello everyone,

Right now I am working with a graph that has a bunch of different groups representing different countries.  This graph is for a study of business networks, and what I am trying to do is show how individual people are connected to the various countries.  To do this, I am taking one country at time and then uncollapsing that group so that I can see all of the individual people in that country.  Then, I am highlighting a specific person to show how they connect to each country, and then saving an image of the graph to my computer. 

There are a bunch of different countries in this graph, and in order to make the networks easier to look at I have spread out all of the countries across the graph.  This is creating a problem for me because each time I uncollapse a country, I have to refresh the graph, and this causes all of the groups to move back to their original positions.  Is there any way to prevent this from happening?  Moving all of the groups around on my graphs takes a long time, and I would rather avoid having to do so each time I refresh my graph.  Thanks in advance for your help.

-Bob

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Edited Feb 9, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Bob:

It sounds like you are uncollapsing a country by manually changing the value in the Collapsed cell on the Groups worksheet, then refreshing the graph.  You don't have to do that.  Instead, try this:

1.  Select the collapsed group by either clicking it in the graph pane or selecting its row on the Groups worksheet.

2.  Use NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Expand Selected Groups.

If you really do need to refresh the graph and you don't want anything to move, you can set NodeXL, Graph, Layout to "None" before you click Refresh Graph.  The "None" layout leaves the vertices in place.

-- Tony

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:32 PM
Hi Tony,

That worked, thanks so much for your continued assistance!

Best regards,
Bob Stanford

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 12:56 PM, tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Bob:

It sounds like you are uncollapsing a country by manually changing the value in the Collapsed cell on the Groups worksheet, then refreshing the graph. You don't have to do that. Instead, try this:

1. Select the collapsed group by either clicking it in the graph pane or selecting its row on the Groups worksheet.

2. Use NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Expand Selected Groups.

If you really do need to refresh the graph and you don't want anything to move, you can set NodeXL, Graph, Layout to "None" before you click Refresh Graph. The "None" layout doesn't move the vertices.

-- Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--

Robert Stanford
MBA Candidate 2013
Robert H. Smith School of Business
University of Maryland

978-394-3124 MOBILE
robert.stanford@rhsmith.umd.edu
http://www.rhsmith.umd.edu

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM
Hi Tony,

Your advice worked on one of my graphs, but the other one is still having problems. I now know how to expand and collapse groups without refreshing, but the problem with this graph is that each time I expand the group the nodes move back to their original position on the graph. Is there a way to prevent the group from moving when I expand it? I have tried to go into "Edit Selected Vertex Properties" and lock the group, but it does not seem to work. Thanks for your help!

Best regards,
Bob Stanford

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Robert Stanford <rbstanford@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Tony,

Best regards,
Bob Stanford

Bob:

It sounds like you are uncollapsing a country by manually changing the value in the Collapsed cell on the Groups worksheet, then refreshing the graph. You don't have to do that. Instead, try this:

1. Select the collapsed group by either clicking it in the graph pane or selecting its row on the Groups worksheet.

If you really do need to refresh the graph and you don't want anything to move, you can set NodeXL, Graph, Layout to "None" before you click Refresh Graph. The "None" layout doesn't move the vertices.

-- Tony

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--

Robert Stanford
MBA Candidate 2013
University of Maryland

978-394-3124 MOBILE

--

Robert Stanford
MBA Candidate 2013
University of Maryland

978-394-3124 MOBILE

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:44 PM
Hi Tony,

And just to clarify a bit more, it seems like the other graph is functioning the way I want it to. When I expand a group, the nodes spread apart in random directions, but at least it seems like they stay close to the general area where I had placed the group. The other graph does not seem to be doing this, so I thought that maybe I had done something different to this one. I was using a Fruchterman-Reingold format on each graph, if that helps. Thanks again.

-Bob

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Robert Stanford <rbstanford@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Tony,

Your advice worked on one of my graphs, but the other one is still having problems. I now know how to expand and collapse groups without refreshing, but the problem with this graph is that each time I expand the group the nodes move back to their original position on the graph. Is there a way to prevent the group from moving when I expand it? I have tried to go into "Edit Selected Vertex Properties" and lock the group, but it does not seem to work. Thanks for your help!

Best regards,
Bob Stanford

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Robert Stanford <rbstanford@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Tony,

Best regards,
Bob Stanford

Bob:

-- Tony

--

Robert Stanford
MBA Candidate 2013
University of Maryland

978-394-3124 MOBILE

--

Robert Stanford
MBA Candidate 2013
University of Maryland

978-394-3124 MOBILE

--

Robert Stanford
MBA Candidate 2013
University of Maryland

978-394-3124 MOBILE

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Hello, Bob:

I don't think I'm understanding the problem you've run into.  Let me tell you the sequence of steps I follow, which perform as expected.  Then maybe you can tell me the steps you're following, and exactly where things go wrong.

1. Add some edges to an empty NodeXL workbook.

2. Group the vertices.  I arbitrarily use NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Group by Connected Component.

3. Show the graph.

4. Drag the vertices to where I want them.

5. Set NodeXL, Graph, Layout to None.

6. Refresh the graph.  The vertices stay put, as expected.

7. Use NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Collapse All Groups.  Each group gets replaced by a collapsed group, which is a disk with a plus sign.  NodeXL arbitrarily places the collapsed group at the same location as one of the group's vertices.

8. Refresh the graph.  The collapsed groups stay put, as expected.

9. Use NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Expand All Groups.  The collapsed groups get replaced with the groups' vertices in the locations they were in before the groups were collapsed, as expected.

10. Refresh the graph.  The vertices stay put, as expected.

-- Tony

Feb 14, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Hi Tony,

I have tried doing everything that you outlined, but the groups are still not expanding the way I want them to. Changing the layout to none does not seem to be having any effect.

I included a series of pictures to show you the problem I am having. I am trying to make it so that when I expand the selected group in Part 2, most of the nodes will appear in the center of the graph. Instead, the nodes seem to be going back to where they were originally laid out, as shown in Part 3. The weird thing is that I do not have this problem with my other file. I will take another look at both files to see if I did anything differently, but I have not been able to find anything yet. Thanks for your help and have a great day.

-Bob

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM, tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hello, Bob:

I don't think I'm understanding the problem you've run into. Let me tell you the sequence of steps I follow, which perform as expected. Then maybe you can tell me the steps you're following, and exactly where things go wrong.

2. Group the vertices. I arbitrarily use NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Group by Connected Component.

3. Show the graph.

6. Refresh the graph. The vertices stay put, as expected.

7. Use NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Collapse All Groups. Each group gets replaced by a collapsed group, which is a disk with a plus sign. NodeXL arbitrarily places the collapsed group at the same location as one of the group's vertices.

8. Refresh the graph. The collapsed groups stay put, as expected.

9. Use NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Expand All Groups. The collapsed groups get replaced with the groups' vertices in the locations they were in before the groups were collapsed, as expected.

10. Refresh the graph. The vertices stay put, as expected.

-- Tony

--

Robert Stanford
MBA Candidate 2013
University of Maryland

978-394-3124 MOBILE

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Hi Tony,

I was able to figure out the problem. I had the "Group in a Box" option turned on, so every time I expanded a group it went back to where it's box was located. I am now able to expand each group in the center of the graph and have the nodes stay in that general location.

Sorry for all of the emails, but I wouldn't have been able to figure this out without yourself and Marc's help. Thanks so much for your time and effort helping me, I really appreciate it.

Best regards,
Bob Stanford

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Robert Stanford <rbstanford@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Tony,

I have tried doing everything that you outlined, but the groups are still not expanding the way I want them to. Changing the layout to none does not seem to be having any effect.

I included a series of pictures to show you the problem I am having. I am trying to make it so that when I expand the selected group in Part 2, most of the nodes will appear in the center of the graph. Instead, the nodes seem to be going back to where they were originally laid out, as shown in Part 3. The weird thing is that I do not have this problem with my other file. I will take another look at both files to see if I did anything differently, but I have not been able to find anything yet. Thanks for your help and have a great day.

-Bob

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM, tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hello, Bob:

I don't think I'm understanding the problem you've run into. Let me tell you the sequence of steps I follow, which perform as expected. Then maybe you can tell me the steps you're following, and exactly where things go wrong.

2. Group the vertices. I arbitrarily use NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Group by Connected Component.

3. Show the graph.

6. Refresh the graph. The vertices stay put, as expected.

7. Use NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Collapse All Groups. Each group gets replaced by a collapsed group, which is a disk with a plus sign. NodeXL arbitrarily places the collapsed group at the same location as one of the group's vertices.

8. Refresh the graph. The collapsed groups stay put, as expected.

9. Use NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Expand All Groups. The collapsed groups get replaced with the groups' vertices in the locations they were in before the groups were collapsed, as expected.

10. Refresh the graph. The vertices stay put, as expected.

-- Tony

--

Robert Stanford
MBA Candidate 2013
University of Maryland

978-394-3124 MOBILE

--

Robert Stanford
MBA Candidate 2013
University of Maryland

978-394-3124 MOBILE

Coordinator
Feb 14, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Edited Feb 14, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Robert -

Great to hear that you are getting the results you want from NodeXL!

Perhaps you can upload some images to NodeXLGraphGallery.org?  It would be great to see your results!

Regards,

Marc

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:05 PM
Hi Marc,

I just posted some pictures of our graphs to the gallery and I will probably put up some more when I have time. My colleagues informed me that it is OK for us to show these pics as long as we do not display anyone's personal information. Thanks again for all your help and have a great day.

Best regards,
Bob Stanford

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:55 AM, marcsmith <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Robert -

Great to hear that you are getting the results you want from NodeXL!

Perhaps you can upload some images to NodeXLGraphGallery.org? It would be great to see your results!

Regards,

Marc

--

Robert Stanford
MBA Candidate 2013
University of Maryland

978-394-3124 MOBILE