Calculating degree and centrality metrics within group

Feb 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Hello! I'm trying to calculate how central an individual is in his/her specific group. Is there a way to do this?

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Yes, there is.  After you have created your groups using one of the "Group by" items on the NodeXL, Analysis, Groups menu, do this:

1. Go to NodeXL, Analysis, Graph Metrics.

2. In the Graph Metrics dialog box, check "Group metrics."

3. Click Calculate Metrics.

The metrics for each group will appear on the Groups worksheet.

For more information on how the group metrics are calculated, click the appropriate Details link in the Graph Metrics dialog box.

-- Tony

Feb 6, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Thanks, Tony. I actually mean, how can I calculate metrics such as in-degree, out-degree, betweenness centrality, and eigenvector centrality (etc.) of an individual WITHIN a group? I.e., not metrics for that individual in the overall network, but metrics for that individual in his/her specific group? (i.e., only considering how that individual relates to all others in his/her specific group).

Thanks!

Coordinator
Feb 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL.

I think that to calculate a set of metrics for a vertex that considers only the connections within its own group will require that you set all the other nodes in other groups to a Visibility of "Skip" and then recalculate the network graph metrics.  Alternatively, you could export the group as a stand alone network and calculate metrics there.  

Regards,

Marc

Feb 6, 2012 at 7:32 PM
Perfect - thank you SO much! :)

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 3:31 PM, marcsmith <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL.

I think that to calculate a set of metrics for a vertex that considers only the connections within its own group will require that you set all the other nodes in other groups to a Visibility of "Skip" and then recalculate the network graph metrics. Alternatively, you could export the group as a stand alone network and calculate metrics there.

Regards,

Marc

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Feb 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM

My mistake.  I answered the wrong question.

-- Tony