downloading NodeXL from a stand-alone computer

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Hello,
I'm interested in using NodeXL for analyzing a financial network. I've tried to download the last release of this tool but after downloading the zip file, extracting it and clicking on the setup file the download is terminated, because the my computer is not connected directly to the internet so the setup procedure cannot get files from it.
My question is how can I still download the tool. Is there an offline version of the installation file? Or maybe through FTP? I'll really appreciate any help you can give me since I really need to use this tool.
Thanks a lot,
Noam

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Noam:

The first time you install NodeXL, it checks whether you have a couple of pieces of Microsoft software that NodeXL needs.  If not, the NodeXL setup program automatically downloads them from the Internet.  It sounds like that's where you've run into a problem, because you're not connected to the Internet.

Did you get an error message when the NodeXL setup program terminated?  That might tell me which piece of software your computer is missing.

-- Tony

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:09 AM

Hi Tony and thanks for your answer.

After clicking "setup" I'm getting this window titled "NodeXL Excel Template Setup" and it tries to run but stops after 20 seconds, giving me the following message:

An error occured while downloading a required file" with no further explanation. However, it sends me to look at the setup log file. I've looked at it but couldn't understand where is my problem. I'm adding the content so you can look at it and maybe you'll find the problem.

The following properties have been set:
Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}
Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = Intel {string}
Property: [VersionNT] = 5.1.3 {version}
Running checks for package 'Windows Installer 3.1', phase BuildList
The following properties have been set for package 'Windows Installer 3.1':
Running checks for command 'WindowsInstaller3_1\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe'
Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'VersionMsi' and value '3.1': true
Result of checks for command 'WindowsInstaller3_1\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe' is 'Bypass'
'Windows Installer 3.1' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
Running checks for package '.NET Framework 3.5 SP1', phase BuildList
Reading value 'SP' of registry key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5'
Unable to read registry value
Not setting value for property 'DotNet35SP'
The following properties have been set for package '.NET Framework 3.5 SP1':
Running checks for command 'DotNetFX35SP1\dotNetFx35setup.exe'
Skipping ByPassIf because Property 'DotNet35SP' was not defined
Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'AdminUser' and value 'false': false
Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.1.2': false
Result of running operator 'VersionEqualTo' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.2.0': false
Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'ProcessorArchitecture' and value 'IA64': false
Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX35SP1\dotNetFx35setup.exe' is 'Install'
'.NET Framework 3.5 SP1' RunCheck result: Install Needed
Running checks for package 'Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies', phase BuildList
Running external check with command 'C:\DOCUME~1\z32q\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD12C.tmp\Office2007PIARedist\ComponentCheck.exe' and parameters ''
Process exited with code 1
Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'PIAInstallAction'
The following properties have been set for package 'Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies':
Property: [PIAInstallAction] = 1 {int}
Running checks for command 'Office2007PIARedist\o2007pia.msi'
Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'PIAInstallAction' and value '0': true
Result of checks for command 'Office2007PIARedist\o2007pia.msi' is 'Bypass'
'Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
Running checks for package 'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1', phase BuildList
Reading value 'Install' of registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v9.0.21022'
Not setting value for property 'VSTORuntimeInstalled'
Reading value 'Update' of registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v3'
Not setting value for property 'VSTORuntimeUpdateInstalled'
The following properties have been set for package 'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1':
Running checks for command 'VSTOR30\vstor30.exe'
Skipping ByPassIf because Property 'VSTORuntimeInstalled' was not defined
Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'AdminUser' and value 'false': false
Result of checks for command 'VSTOR30\vstor30.exe' is 'Install'
Running checks for command 'VSTOR30\vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe'
Skipping ByPassIf because Property 'VSTORuntimeUpdateInstalled' was not defined
Result of checks for command 'VSTOR30\vstor30sp1-KB949258-x86.exe' is 'Install'
'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1' RunCheck result: Install Needed
EULA for components '.NET Framework 3.5 SP1' was accepted.
EULA for components 'Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime Service Pack 1' was accepted.
Copying files to temporary directory "C:\DOCUME~1\z32q\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD12C.tmp\"
Downloading files to "C:\DOCUME~1\z32q\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD12C.tmp\"
(07/02/2012 08:57:17) Downloading 'DotNetFX35SP1\dotNetFx35setup.exe' from 'http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=118076' to 'C:\DOCUME~1\z32q\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD12C.tmp\'
Download completed at 07/02/2012 08:57:32
Downloading failed with HRESULT=-2146697211

Thanks a lot,

Noam

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Hello, Noam:

Thank you for all the details, which told me what I need to know.

NodeXL's setup program needs two pieces of software that you don't have on your computer:

1. Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1.

2. Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System (version 3.0 Runtime) Service Pack 1 (x86).

As I mentioned, NodeXL's setup program will download and install these automatically if you are connected to the Internet.  You aren't connected, but if you can manually download these on a connected computer and then install them on your own computer before running NodeXL's setup program, then the setup program will just skip those steps.

You can manually download Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=22.  It's important that you use the ".NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (Full Package)" link on that page to do the download.  That will give you the full package in one file.  It's going to be a big file.

You can manually download Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System (version 3.0 Runtime) Service Pack 1 (x86) from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=1132.  However, I'm not sure if this is a full package, or if it's just a "download starter" that turns around and gets more stuff from the Internet, which would prevent it from working when run on your own computer.  If you try it, please let me know what happens.

-- Tony

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Hello Tony,

Thank you very much! I've followed your advices and now I can run NodeXL on my computer.

Just wanted to let you know that the Visual Studio file doesn't look for files online.

However, every time I'm trying to open a NodeXL template file it takes the computer 40-50 seconds to open it. Do you have a guess what can be the problem?

Thanks again,

Noam

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Noam:

This definitely isn't normal behavior.  NodeXL should open quickly, not in 40-50 seconds.

It might be that something is trying to go out to the Internet when you open a NodeXL workbook, then giving up when it realizes that your computer isn't connected.  One possibility is that NodeXL's security certificate is being checked against an online list of "revoked" certificates.  (When software goes bad, that's what can happen to it -- it gets its certificate revoked.)  This is discussed in "How Office Performs Certificate Revocation" at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/office-2003-resource-kit/how-office-performs-certificate-revocation-HA001140308.aspx.

To see if this is what's going on, try this:

1. Start Internet Explorer.

2. Click Tools, click Internet Options, and then click the Advanced tab.

3. Under the Security section, uncheck "Check for publisher’s certificate revocation."

4. Start NodeXL again and see what happens.

-- Tony