"Additive" dynamic filtering?

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Edited Jan 20, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I find the dynamic filters extremely valuable for a quick drill down into all sorts of questions one may have from the data. There is one scenario I don't seem to be able to create due to the fact that one column filter overwrites the results of another.

I wonder if I am just stuck and not seeing the path to a possisble solution, but would it be possible to allow for this kind of scenario?

- I have 17 vertices with varying amounts of edges between them; I would like to be able to show all edges belonging to a given vertex in an additive way, meaning I would like to first show vertex A and its immediate network (which I can easily do with a filter); next I would like to add showing vertex B and all of its immediate connections while still displaying the network around vertex A. Next I'd like to be able to add the display of the network around vertex C and so on. I would like to be able to to this in arbitrary order and use the filters to dynamically show or hide sub networks around a given vertex.

At this point I can only figure out how to do this for one network at a time, but as I try to show more indivudual networks in an additive manner, the appear to cancel each other out.

It seems to me that there could be a way to manipulate the "edge visibility" column with clever usage of formulas, but I'd like to be able to show / hide vertex networks interactively (which is what the dynamic filters would allow me to do). Any suggestions if or how this could be done using the dynamic filters? Thanks!!

Jan 21, 2012 at 5:44 PM
Edited Jan 21, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Try this:

1. Add a "For Filtering" column to the Vertices worksheet (not the Edges worksheet), and fill it with a sequential series of numbers: 1, 2, 3, and so on.  (You can insert the formula "=ROW()" into the first cell in the column to get Excel to do the sequential numbering for you.)

2. In the Dynamic Filters dialog box, find the filter for the "For Filtering" column.

3. Keep the filter's left slider all the way to the left, and slide the right slider all the way to the left as well.  You should see only one vertex and its incident edges.

4. Gradually move the filter's right slider to the right.  Additional vertices and their incident edges will gradually be added to the graph.

5. If you need the additional vertices to be added to the graph in a particular order, adjust the numerical values in the "For Filtering" column on the Vertices worksheet accordingly.

-- Tony

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Thank you Tony! It comes closer to the solution than anything I could come up with. It does not get me all the way to the desired solution (in which I could at will show and hide arbitrary connections in varying order), but it’s pretty darn close. I tried it and it works fine!

Thanks again for your response!!

Andrea Jessee

Sr. Lead PM – Services Engineering Team

Engineering Excellence

Microsoft Corp. Redmond - 27/1801 - +1 425 705 3459

Don't believe everything you think - <Bumpersticker>

Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2012 10:45 AM
To: Andrea Jessee
Subject: Re: "Additive" dynamic filtering? [NodeXL:286863]

Try this:

1. Add a "For Filtering" column to the Vertices worksheet, and fill it with a sequential series of numbers: 1, 2, 3, and so on. (You can insert the formula "=ROW()" into the first cell in the column to get Excel to do the sequential numbering for you.)

2. In the Dynamic Filters dialog box, find the filter for the "For Filtering" column.

3. Keep the filter's left slider all the way to the left, and slide the right slider all the way to the left as well. You should see only one vertex and its incident edges.

4. Gradually move the filter's right slider to the right. Additional vertices and their incident edges will gradually be added to the graph.

5. If you need the additional vertices to be added in a particular order, adjust the numerical values in the "For Filtering" column accordingly.

-- Tony