NodeXL Installation Errors

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Hi there

I am trying to use and explore NodeXL but can't seem to get it to install/run on my computer.

I have downloaded the zip file but then keep getting Error 1001 - exit code -400 message when I try run it?  Any help appreciated.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:01 AM

If you don't mind doing a little detective work, please do the following:

1. Run the Setup.exe program again.  When you get the "Error 1001: The installation of the ClickOnce solution failed" message, STOP.  Do not close the error message.

2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to one of these folders.  Your computer will have only one of them: "C:\Program Files\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template".

3. Double-click this file: "Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto".  You should get a message, probably with a "Details" button.  Please copy the message and details here.

Thanks,
    Tony

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:18 AM

Hi Tony

Here is the error message from the file you said to copy.

Name: Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate

From: file:///C:/Program Files/Social Media Research Foundation/NodeXL Excel Template/Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto

The following solution ID is already used to identify a customization: aa51c0f3-62b4-4782-83a8-a15dcdd17698. Each solution ID can be used for only one customization.

Parameter name: se

************** Exception Text **************

System.ArgumentException: The following solution ID is already used to identify a customization: aa51c0f3-62b4-4782-83a8-a15dcdd17698. Each solution ID can be used for only one customization.

Parameter name: se

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.OfficeConfigurationStore.Add(OfficeConfigurationStoreEntry se)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.OfficeAddInDeploymentManager.OnAddInDownloaded(AddInDownloadedArgs args)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.RaiseOnAddInDownloadedEvent(IClickOnceAddInInstaller addInInstaller, Uri deploymentManifestUri, AddInInstallationStatus addinSolutionState, String productName, String logFilePath)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn

Thanks, Karen.

----- Original Message -----
To: [email removed]
Sent: Monday, 19 December, 2011 5:01:34 PM GMT +10:00 Brisbane
Subject: Re: NodeXL Installation Errors [NodeXL:283333]

If you don't mind doing a little detective work, please do the following:

1. Run the Setup.exe program again. When you get the "Error 1001: The installation of the ClickOnce solution failed" message, STOP. Do not close the error message.

2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to one of these folders. Your computer will have only one of them: "C:\Program Files\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Social Media Research Foundation\NodeXL Excel Template".

3. Double-click this file: "Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto". You should get a message, probably with a "Details" button. Please copy the message and details here.

Thanks,
Tony

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Karen:

1. Has NodeXL ever been installed on this computer before?  The error message is saying that there is a conflict with a program already installed on the computer, although the particular message is one I haven't seen before and that I can't find any information about.  In Windows 7 or Vista, please go to Control Panel, Programs and Features; search for the word "NodeXL" in the search box at the upper-right corner of the Programs and Features window; and verify that NodeXL is not already installed.

2. Are you a computer programmer attempting to use the NodeXL source code?  There are several downloads available, and I want to make sure we're talking about the "NodeXL Excel Template" download and not the "NodeXL Source Code" download.

Thanks,
    Tony

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Hi Tony

I am definately not a programmer, just a technology challenged PhD student trying to do network modelling.

I have looked on my computer and seem to have the following

The Node XL download file with the set up program in it, also

a Socail Media Research Folder with Node XL Excel Template and then two tmp files in it.

I may have tried to get NodeXL to work earlier this year but these two files seem to be the only ones.

I am a bit confused about what files I should have as the instructions for download of NodeXL state to download the zip program and then extract all (not sure to where?) close excel (was it suppose to be open?) and run setup.exe (but what file is it in if I have extracted it?). As you can see I am no programmer LOL.

Thank you for persisting to try and help me.

KK

Sent: Wednesday, 21 December, 2011 2:28:23 AM GMT +10:00 Brisbane

Karen:

1. Has NodeXL ever been installed on this computer before? The error message is saying that there is a conflict with a program already installed on the computer, although the particular message is one I haven't seen before and that I can't find any information about. In Windows 7 or Vista, please go to Control Panel, Programs and Features; search for the word "NodeXL" in the search box at the upper-right corner of the Programs and Features window; and verify that NodeXL is not already installed.

2. Are you a computer programmer attempting to use the NodeXL source code? There are several downloads available, and I want to make sure we're talking about the "NodeXL Excel Template" download and not the "NodeXL Source Code" download.

Thanks,
Tony

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:34 AM

Hello, Karen:

You followed the installation steps just fine.  NodeXL comes as a Zip file, which you unzipped into some folder.  (The folder isn't important; any folder will do.)  One of the files that got unzipped into that folder was Setup.exe, which you ran.  Unfortunately, Setup.exe reports a problem that we have to solve.

You didn't mention whether you checked if another version of NodeXL is already installed.  If you haven't done so already, please do the following:

1. In Windows 7 or Vista, go to Control Panel, Programs and Features.

2. In the search box at the upper-right corner of the Programs and Features window, search for the word "NodeXL."

3. If any items show up in the search results, right-click each one and select "Uninstall" from the right-click menu.

Thanks,
    Tony

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:06 AM

Hi Tony

Thank you for that, yes found the old copy and deleted it.

Installed fine and I will have a play from here.

Thank you for your patience and kind help to get me going.

Cheers, Karen

Sent: Wednesday, 21 December, 2011 11:34:13 AM GMT +10:00 Brisbane

Hello, Karen:

You followed the installation steps just fine. NodeXL comes as a Zip file, which you unzipped into some folder. (The folder isn't important; any folder will do.) One of the files that got unzipped into that folder was Setup.exe, which you ran. Unfortunately, Setup.exe reports a problem that we have to solve.

You didn't mention whether you checked if another version of NodeXL is already installed. If you haven't done so already, please do the following:

1. In Windows 7 or Vista, go to Control Panel, Programs and Features.

2. In the search box at the upper-right corner of the Programs and Features window, search for the word "NodeXL."

3. If any items show up in the search results, right-click each one and select "Uninstall" from the right-click menu.

Thanks,
Tony

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Karen:

I'm glad we got it working.  Thanks for letting me know.

There is a help system at NodeXL, Help, Help in the Excel ribbon if you would like a quick overview of the program.  Let me know if you have additional questions.

-- Tony

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Tony

Thank you for that. Just one last question.

Do you know anyone here in Australia (I am on the Gold Coast near Brisbane) who could help with my modelling for my PhD?

I am attempting to model contributing factors to rail accidents and show how the factors are networked and the strength of the association between the factors. I have examined accidents over 5 years and identified contributing factors according to a tool I have made for the rail industry.

My co-supervisor for the PhD wants me to use a social networking program to do this. I am thinking I can say each accident is like a person and the contributing factors can be like who they know in the system.

I am also going to try and do this network modelling with IBM SPSS Modeler and structural equation modelling.

Do you know anyone who might be able to help me when I get stuck on the modelling side of things?

Thanks, Karen

Sent: Thursday, 22 December, 2011 2:21:43 AM GMT +10:00 Brisbane

Karen:

I'm glad we got it working. Thanks for letting me know.

There is a help system at NodeXL, Help, Help in the Excel ribbon if you would like a quick overview of the program. Let me know if you have additional questions.

-- Tony

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:33 PM

I don't, but I'll forward your question to Marc Smith, the project leader.

-- Tony

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I am experiencing problems installing NodeXL.

My error message shows the following:

Unable to locate application file 'Dnrd.msi'.

Could you please help me with this?

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I am moving starsailor's post to a new discussion, "Unable to locate application file 'Dnrd.msi'", at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/discussions/287251.

-- Tony

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Hi Tony,

I am receiving an error message when I try to install NodeXL, it reads: "Unable to locate application file 'DoNotUseThis.msi'.
See the setup log file located at 'C:\Users\JJWEIN~1\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD4460.tmp\install.log' for more information." I ran the setup.exe file and it gave me the above error message. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:56 AM

JJ:

It sounds like a simple "unzipping" problem.  The setup program is looking for a file that was supposed to be unzipped along with everything else, and the file is not where it's supposed to be.

Please do the following:

1. Create an empty folder in Windows Explorer.

2. Download the Zip file from CodePlex and save it in that folder.

3. Right-click the downloaded Zip file in Windows Explorer and select "Extract All."  That will unzip all of NodeXL's setup files into a new subfolder.

4. In the subfolder into which all the setup files were unzipped, double-click Setup.exe.

That should fix things.  Once the setup program completes, you can get rid of your subfolder and folder.

-- Tony

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Edited Oct 24, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Hi! I am experiencing a problem with NodeXL too. I have detected two programmes in my control panel as you suggested above, but the problem persists and it doesn't seem I can uninstall any of those two. I have NodeXL Excel Template and Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate. I can't run or uninstall any of those two. What's wrong? The error I am experiencing during the procedure of uninstall is Error 1001. It says more or less that:

"an exception has been encountered during the uninstall procedure. This exception will be overlooked and the uninstall of the programme will cxontinue. But there is a possibility the uninstallation of the programme not to have been completed after the end of the uninstallation of programme --> It hasn't been defined reference of the object in a presence of object."

This was more or less said. It was on Greek that's why I can't literally tell you what's said. But that's the meaning..

Anna

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Anna:

From the email you sent separately, it sounds like this is what happened to you:

1. NodeXL was successfully installed on your computer, by you or by someone else.

2. But when you tried to run NodeXL, you got a message that included the word "UnauthorizedAccessException."

3. You tried to uninstall NodeXL, and that didn't work, either.

If that is correct, then let's look at 2 first.  The "unauthorized" part of the message implies that there might be some permission problem.  Is this a computer that is managed by an IT department, or is it your personal machine?

Also, are you the person who installed NodeXL in the first place, and did you do so using the same Windows account that you used to try to run NodeXL?

Thanks,
    Tony

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Hello Tony!

I was the one that installed the NodeXL and this is my personal computer. When I had to install it I chose the option that I was the only one to have access to the programme, not knowing actually why I picked that option really.

And I used the same account to download the NodeXL. Actually I downloaded the NodeXL by clicking here

download-codeplex.sec.s-msft.com/Download/Release?ProjectName=nodexl&DownloadId=511408&FileTime=129948859100330000&Build=19556

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anna

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Hello again!

For the beginning I wanted to let you know that in my computer I have both Office 2003 and Office 2007. So I think that may be the potential problem.

So the steps I have followed with the guidance of Marc are the following:

1. I downloaded again the NodeXL, ran it in order to repair it, worked absolutely fine, but when I tried to open it, it just didn't open.

2. So I ran the setup file again in order to remove it. This time it was removed perfectly and it didn't show anything in the control panel.

3. I downloaded again the package and installed it. I pressed only me as the user, but while everything seemed to have worked just fine, the programme couldn't be opened, once again. So just to make sure that the problem persisted I tried to open Excel 2007 and then open NodeXl through that, but the same problems as stated in the previous post arose.

4. And one last question: When I deleted the programme the file in which I have unzipped it was still there. Should that worry me or not? Should I have deleted myself?

Thank you a lot for your help!

Anna

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Hello, Anna:

First, I don't know what's wrong, except that it appears to be some sort of permission problem with the Windows account on your computer.  But if you're willing to persevere and check a few things for me, we might be able to narrow down the cause.

Please try this:

1. In the Windows Start Menu, search for regedit.exe, and run it.

2. If you get a security warning, say "OK."  You won't be modifying anything here, just looking.

3. If you haven't used RegEdit (registry editor) before, it looks a lot like Windows Explorer, but with "keys" shown in the left pane instead of folders and files.

4. In the left pane, try to navigate to this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall.  Does RegEdit let you navigate to that key, or do you get an error message?  If you get an error message, please press Ctrl-C while the error message is on the screen and paste the message here.

On your question about the unzipped files, they will stick around until you manually delete them, which you can do any time after you run the Setup program.  But since we don't have this working on your computer yet, just leave the unzipped files there for now.

Thanks,
    Tony

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Ok. Let me see.

I can navigate to this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall.

But beneath that I see 3 files:

• advantage_DAEM
  • FF6936D70060EBAD87660736B2F5E0260107A02E
  • Google Chrome

Do I have to press something of this file?

Thanks a lot for your help! Since I may need the programme after all, I may have to format my computer in the end as since I bought it has never been formatted. But this can be avoided that could be awesome!

Regards,

Anna

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Anna:

Hmm... that's not the result I expected.

I'm not going to be able to fix the problem, because I don't know what's causing it and I don't even know where to look for the cause.  It has something to do with Excel not being able to write to the registry while you're logged in, but it's the first time I've seen this and I don't have a solution.

I can suggest two workarounds, neither of which is particularly convenient:

1. Install and use NodeXL on another computer.

2. Try using NodeXL with a different user account on your computer.

If you want to try #2, I'll include instructions for it in my next post.

-- Tony

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:36 PM

To try using NodeXL with a different user account on the same computer:

1. Uninstall NodeXL again.  I think you've done that before, so I won't outline the steps here.

2. In the Windows Start Menu, search for User Accounts.

3. In the User Accounts window, click "Manage another account", then "Create a new account".  (The Greek translations, of course.)

4. Enter a name for the new account, and select the "Standard User" option.

5. Log out of Windows, then log in using the account you just created.

6. Install NodeXL again.

7. Try using NodeXL.  Does it work now?

If it still doesn't work, you can log in using your old account and delete the new account from the User Accounts window.

-- Tony