Graph Layout Invisible

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:36 PM

I am using Wondows 7, EXCEL 2010 at home and at work. The SNA graph I created works fine at home, but remains invisible at work. No graph I create is visible at work. I have unistalled and reinstalled the software. and made sure the parameters for the graph at home and at work are the same. Any suggestions?

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:28 AM
Edited Dec 17, 2011 at 3:30 AM

A few questions:

1. Does the program at work work at all?  Can you create a NodeXL workbook at work?  (I'm not sure if you're saying the one at work is completely broken, or only that there is a problem with transferring a workbook from home to work.)

2. By "invisible," I assume you mean that the graph pane is missing.  (The graph pane is the pane at the right side of the Excel windows that has "Document Actions as its title.)  What is the error message you get when you attempt to open the problematic workbook?  It may include a "Details" button.  Please copy and paste the entire message here, including the details.

Thanks,
    Tony

Dec 17, 2011 at 12:29 PM
tcap479 wrote:

A few questions:

1. Does the program at work work at all?  Can you create a NodeXL workbook at work?  (I'm not sure if you're saying the one at work is completely broken, or only that there is a problem with transferring a workbook from home to work.)

2. By "invisible," I assume you mean that the graph pane is missing.  (The graph pane is the pane at the right side of the Excel windows that has "Document Actions as its title.)  What is the error message you get when you attempt to open the problematic workbook?  It may include a "Details" button.  Please copy and paste the entire message here, including the details.

Thanks,
    Tony

Tony Thanks. Let me clarify. A notebook can be created both at home and at work.. In both places the graph pnae is visible. At work when I click show graph nothing appears in the graph pane. At home the graph appears. I get no error message.

Arthur

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Arthur:

There is a "Scale" slider at the top of the graph pane.  If it's all the way to the left, everything in the graph pane will shrink so much that the graph may be almost invisible.  Is the Scale slider all the way to the left at work?

-- Tony

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:41 PM
All the way to the right

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

-----Original message-----
To:
aeblank@msn.com
Sent:
Sat, Dec 17, 2011 18:50:03 GMT+00:00
Subject:
Re: Graph Layout Invisible [NodeXL:283246]

Arthur:

There is a "Scale" slider at the top of the graph pane. If it's all the way to the left, everything in the graph pane will shrink so much that the graph may be almost invisible. Is the Scale slider all the way to the left at work?

-- Tony

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I'm temporarily stumped.  I haven't seen this problem before.

Please try this:

1. At the top of the graph pane, click the Graph Options button.  It may be hidden behind a down-arrow icon if your graph pane is narrow.

2. In the Graph Options dialog box, click the Other tab.

3. On the Other tab, change the Background Color, then click OK.

4. Click Show Graph.  Does the graph pane have the background color you set it to?

-- Tony

Dec 18, 2011 at 7:35 PM
Thanks. I'll play around. I am sure it is hidden somewhere. I won't be able to try for a few days

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

-----Original message-----
To:
aeblank@msn.com
Sent:
Sun, Dec 18, 2011 19:58:23 GMT+00:00
Subject:
Re: Graph Layout Invisible [NodeXL:283246]

I'm temporarily stumped. I haven't seen this problem before.

Please try this:

1. At the top of the graph pane, click the Graph Options button. It may be hidden behind a down-arrow icon if your graph pane is narrow.

4. Click Show Graph. Does the graph pane have the background color you set it to?

-- Tony

Dec 20, 2011 at 6:46 PM
HI,
I am at my work PC for an hour or so, and just went to NodeXL. When I click on refresh graph it looks as if a graph pane is opening, but the pane is actually fully transparent and the icons on my desk top show through. All settings look Ok? Any suggestions? I will be back at my office on Thursday.
Arthur
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 2:58 PM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: Graph Layout Invisible [NodeXL:283246]

I'm temporarily stumped. I haven't seen this problem before.

Please try this:

1. At the top of the graph pane, click the Graph Options button. It may be hidden behind a down-arrow icon if your graph pane is narrow.

4. Click Show Graph. Does the graph pane have the background color you set it to?

-- Tony

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Arthur:

A screen shot of the entire Excel window (the whole window, not just the misbehaving graph pane) would be useful.  You can't post an attachment on CodePlex's Discussions tab, but you can do so on the Issue Tracker tab, which is at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic.  Please create a new "issue" there and attach the screen shot.  You don't have to explain anything there; I'll know what it is.

Thanks,
    Tony

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Are you using any kind of "remoting" software or a virtual machine on your work computer when you are running NodeXL?

-- Tony

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:02 PM
It is now posted as requested.
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:20 PM

Arthur:

A screen shot of the entire Excel window (the whole window, not just the misbehaving graph pane) would be useful. You can't post an attachment on CodePlex's Discussions tab, but you can do so on the Issue Tracker tab, which is at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic. Please create a new "issue" there and attach the screen shot. You don't have to explain anything there; I'll know what it is.

Thanks,
Tony

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:49 PM
Edited Dec 22, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Arthur:

Are you using any kind of "remoting" software or a virtual machine on your work computer when you are running NodeXL?

-- Tony

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:44 PM
ArthurE wrote:

I am using Wondows 7, EXCEL 2010 at home and at work. The SNA graph I created works fine at home, but remains invisible at work. No graph I create is visible at work. I have unistalled and reinstalled the software. and made sure the parameters for the graph at home and at work are the same. Any suggestions?

I did upload a screen shot-in a Word document-via issue tracker. You will see two screens, the left one has Nodexcel. What appears in the graph pane is what is open on the desktop, but behind Nodexcel. This is what I mean by noting that the graph pane is transparent-you see right through the graph pane to the desktop. Let me know if the document did not come through via issue tracker.

Arthur

Dec 23, 2011 at 4:15 AM
Edited Dec 23, 2011 at 5:56 AM

Yes, I see your screen shot, thanks.

I think something is wrong with your video card or video card driver at work.  The computer may work fine with other programs, but NodeXL uses a technology called "WPF" that places special demands on the video card.  We had one case where NodeXL actually "blue screened" a computer, something that is almost impossible for a program to do on its own nowadays, and it turned out to be a buggy video card driver.  Updating the driver with the manufacturer's latest version fixed things.

Similarly, NodeXL doesn't make itself transparent; that's a crime most likely committed by a bad driver.  (A very bad driver.)  The first attempt to solve the problem should be updating the video card driver.  If you have an IT department at work, they can probably do that for you.

I also found a post (at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpf/thread/7782ce4d-204a-4837-8a29-a0c1b1985211) indicating that running in a "virtual machine" can cause unwanted transparency, but you didn't seem to see my repeated questions about that, and so I can't comment on its relevance to your situation.

-- Tony

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Just a quick note about WPF. I use another MS program that relies on it (Expression Web), and Tony's recommendation is solid. That's one of the first recommendations for people having display problems in EW--update the video driver.

BUT...make sure you download the driver from the card manufacturer's site; don't just reload it from the disk that came with the computer. That driver (even with a brand new computer) could be 1 to 2 years old. You need to get the very latest.

It's also possible that the WPF installation is corrupted, but try the video driver first.

Dec 23, 2011 at 4:28 PM
Thanks. I will try this. I did answer about the VM, but perhaps it did not come through. There is no VM on my PC.
Arthur

Sent: Friday, December 23, 2011 12:15 AM

Yes, I see your screen shot, thanks.

I think something is wrong with your video card or video card driver at work. The computer may work fine with other programs, but NodeXL uses a technology called "WPF" that places special demands on the video card. We had one case where NodeXL actually "blue screened" a computer, something that is almost impossible for a program to do on its own nowadays, and it turned out to be a buggy video card driver. Updating the driver with the manufacturer's latest version fixed things.

Similarly, NodeXL doesn't make itself transparent; that's a crime most likely committed by a bad driver. The first attempt to solve the problem should be updating the video card driver. If you have an IT department at work, they can probably do that for you.

I also found a post (at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpf/thread/7782ce4d-204a-4837-8a29-a0c1b1985211) indicating that running in a "virtual machine" can cause unwanted transparency, but you didn't seem to see my repeated questions about that, and so I can't comment on its relevance to your situation.

-- Tony

Dec 23, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Tony,

Thanks for the advice. The video card drivers are up to date and the problem persists. As for running in a virtual machine, I am not sure why my response did not come through but I am not running in VM. I will talk to my IT people after New Year to do some double checking on the PC. NodeXL was working fine and then the graph pane just stopped functioning -all within the span of one hour with no new software or configuration changes.

Arthur

Arthur