NodeXL issues

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Since I've downloaded the latest version of NodeXL, I have been having major issues. Every time I try to do something the program slows down and stops responding for awhile. I just bought a brand new laptop because I thought my computer wasn't fast enough, but that has not helped any. I have over 60,000 edges. Is this a common issue with Nodexl?

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I don't think anything has changed in recent releases regarding the performance of NodeXL with very large graphs, which has always been middling to poor.  It's optimized for ease of use with small to midsize graphs, and although we'd like to make it work better with large graphs, that comes at a high development cost and we haven't invested much in that to date.

Are you saying that it performed noticeably better in an earlier version?  If so, please tell me a specific action (running some ribbon command perhaps, or interacting with the workbook or graph in some way) that has gotten worse.  I can take a look to see if I inadvertently hurt the performance somewhere.  (I'm the programmer.)

Thanks,
    Tony

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Ok. This error doesnt seem to be too specific its just a matter of me selection large sets of data (to add to groups or move) and the program stops responding. However, other programs on my computer will work just fine, which leads me to beleive that it is not a matter of memory or power.

I am currently having trouble adding vertices into groups. What is the easiest and most effecient way to do this?

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Also, for some reason, when I select "add vertices to group" a number gets entered in the column "shape" in the Vertices worksheet?

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:58 PM

I do not recommend using NodeXL for a graph with 60,000 edges unless you have a lot of patience.  It's going to be painfully slow, so slow that you might think it's stopped responding.

There are several ways to add vertices to groups.  Please see the "Creating Groups" topic in the help file, which you can access at NodeXL, Help, Help.

I'll get back to you on the "number gets entered" issue.

-- Tony

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Ok. After merging duplicate edges, I have about 10,000 edges. It isn't as slow. What is the maximum number of edges suggested for use in Node  XL?

Dec 11, 2011 at 6:20 PM

It depends on the computer you're running it on.  To be conservative, I usually say that NodeXL performs reasonably well with several thousand edges on a moderately-equipped computer.  If you find it satisfactory with 10,000 edges and you don't encounter "out of memory" messages, then you're probably using a better computer and that's always a good thing.

-- Tony

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:43 PM

On the "number gets entered" issue: This bug will be fixed in the next version of NodeXL (1.0.1.198), which will be released in mid-January.  Thank you for reporting it.

-- Tony