Adding visual properties for labels in Edges tab

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Hello,

I'm new to the NodeXL tool but I find it very useful! However it would be great if it was possible to add extra functionality (already existing in the Vertices tab) to the Edges tab. What I would like to be able to do is add an image (Label shape) with a specific size and a name, it would also be great if it was possible to add a tooltip to it. Is there any workaround for this today and/or is it possible to include in future versions of NodeXL?

I appreciate all guideance that I can get.

//Sillenski

Nov 11, 2011 at 5:36 AM
Edited Nov 11, 2011 at 5:41 AM

Sillenski:

I’m pleased to hear that you’re making good use of NodeXL.

If I understand your suggestion, you would like to be able to specify that an image be shown on top of an edge.  I have some questions about how that would work:

1. What would be an example of an image you might show on top of an edge?

2. Would edge images rotate with the edges, or would they always remain upright?

3. What would happen when an edge is too short to include the entire image?  Would the image get cropped?  (Today, edge labels get abbreviated with ellipses on short edges.)

4. Would edge images be readily distinguishable from vertices?  After all, they both have lines emanating from them.

-- Tony

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Hi Tony,

It seems like you understand my suggestion perfectly. This is my situation: I'm getting outside the box in mechanical engineering by trying to use NodeXL to visualize product architectures where the groups are "sub assemblies"/clusters of technical solutions and the edges are the interfaces that connects them. It's great to be able to show a picture of the sub assemblies but it would also be great if we could visualise the interfaces.  

1. What would be an example of an image you might show on top of an edge?

-Snap joint, flanges, bolt pattern etc. In a network deployment it could show communication method like twitter, e-mail, linked-in etc.

2. Would edge images rotate with the edges, or would they always remain upright?

-The most important thing is to get it as clean as possible whereas remain in upright position sounds like the ideal solution.

3. What would happen when an edge is too short to include the entire image?  Would the image get cropped?  (Today, edge labels get abbreviated with ellipses on short edges.)

-It would be great if the sizes remained stable but the layout option makes sure there is no overlap of images neither label or edge images. I've found tat the Sugiyama layout gives the best helicopter perspective of the architecture even though it requires some extra hands on. 

4. Would edge images be readily distinguishable from vertices?  After all, they both have lines emanating from them.

-The edge images should have as little impact of the direction as the label has right now i.e. none and it would be great to be able to set different sizes on the two types of images depending of what the focus lies on in the project at the moment i.e. on the interfaces or on the sub assemblies. 

I hope this clarifies my whishes for the software and I'm glad you that it raised enough interest to put up those questions. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

//

Sillenski