Focusing on Groups

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Hello, 

I have 27 represented groups in my graph. I want to analyze the relationship between two particular groups and the individual nodes within those groups. When I try to use the column filter it shows me all the nodes from the entire data set. I am sure there is a simple solution to this. Your help is appreciated. 

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Are you saying that you would like to show two groups in the graph pane and temporarily get rid of all the rest?  If so, here is one way to do that:

1. Switch to the Groups worksheet.

2. Select the groups you would like to show by selecting their rows in the Groups worksheet.  This selects all the vertices in those groups.

3. Right-click the graph pane and select Toggle Selection.  This selects all the vertices in the unwanted groups.

4. Right-click the graph pane and select Edit Selected Vertex Properties.

5. In the Vertex Properties dialog box, set Visibility to Skip, then click OK.  That causes NodeXL to skip all the vertices in the unwanted groups when the graph is shown.

To make all groups visible again, clear the Visibility column on the Vertices worksheet.

-- Tony

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Thank you. It seems to work but when I try expanding my groups, once isolated, it gives me an error message. 

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:00 PM
Edited Nov 4, 2011 at 8:01 PM

I don't have enough information to answer your question.  Please tell me exactly what you would like to be able to do.

-- Tony

Nov 4, 2011 at 9:10 PM
Starting point: Graph with 28 groups all of which are collapsed.

Groups isolation: After following your instructions, I am now able to view the two groups that I want to examine side by side; however, they are still collapsed.

Problem: When I select the groups I wish to expand, an error occurs.

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 12:01 PM, tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I don't have enough information to answer your question. Please tell me exactly what it is you would like to be able to do.

-- Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:40 PM
Edited Nov 4, 2011 at 11:44 PM

My instructions assumed that all groups were already expanded.  If that solves the problem, great.  Otherwise, please be more precise about what your goal is, what steps you are following to get there, and what is the error message that you are getting.  (You can copy most pop-up error messages by pressing Control+C while the error message is on the screen.)  What do you mean by "isolate," for example?  Does that mean hide everything else, or put next to each other?  I assumed it meant "hidden," but when you say "side by side" it makes me think that I misunderstood.

-- Tony

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:50 PM
---------------------------
Microsoft NodeXL
An unexpected problem occurred. If it occurs again, please copy the details to the clipboard by typing Ctrl-C, then post the details to http://www.codeplex.com/NodeXL/Thread/List.aspx.

Details:

[ArgumentException]: An item with the same key has already been added.

at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Add(TKey key, TValue value)

at Microsoft.NodeXL.Algorithms.SubgraphCalculator.GetSubgraphAsNewGraph(ICollection`1 verticesToInclude)

at Microsoft.NodeXL.Layouts.AsyncLayoutBase.GetLayoutToUseForGroup(IGraph oGraph, ICollection`1 oVerticesInGroup)

at Microsoft.NodeXL.Layouts.AsyncLayoutBase.LayOutGraphOnBackgroundWorkerUsingGroups(IGraph oGraph, LayoutContext oAdjustedLayoutContext, BackgroundWorker oBackgroundWorker)

at Microsoft.NodeXL.Layouts.AsyncLayoutBase.LayOutGraphOnBackgroundWorker(BackgroundWorker oBackgroundWorker, DoWorkEventArgs oDoWorkEventArgs)

at Microsoft.NodeXL.Layouts.AsyncLayoutBase.BackgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)

at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)
OK

This is a different issue that is now happening. I am trying to expand all the groups to get the graph to its original state.

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 3:40 PM, tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

My instructions assumed that all groups were already expanded. If that solves the problem, great. Otherwise, please be more precise about what your goal is, what steps you are following to get there, and what is the error message that you are getting. (You can copy most pop-up error messages by pressing Control+C while the error message is on the screen.) What do you mean by "isolate," for example? Does that mean hide everything else, or put next to each other?

-- Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:57 PM

To fix the latest problem, switch to the Groups worksheet, clear the contents of the "Collapsed?" column, and refresh the graph.

-- Tony