Fuzzy images!

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Hi

I'm using the programme to demonstrate collaborations between researchers at my Centre. Everytime I try and import the (.png) images into PowerPoint they go fuzzy - technically speaking. The name labels especially seem to loose resolution.

Any suggestions?

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:21 PM
Edited Nov 2, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Are you resizing the image when you bring it into PowerPoint? That could be a problem. Microsoft Office's handling of such graphics is not terrific.

Try generating the graph in NodeXL at the exact pixel size you need it in PowerPoint. Then save and insert. Alternatively, resize in a good external graphics program only in exact multiples of 2 (including 1/4, 1/2); that ensures less rounding-off in calculating pixels.

Also, if you are planning to print handouts from that PowerPoint, be aware that PNG graphics may print as black rectangles, especially when using transparency (PNG is designed for monitors and projectors, using RGB colorspace and does not support the CMYK that printers use).

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:12 PM
Edited Nov 1, 2011 at 11:15 PM

In my copy of PowerPoint 2007, inserting an image of a graph (or an image of anything with fine detail) always gives blurry results, regardless of the image size, even if there is no apparent resizing going on.  I do not know how to fix this.  If anyone knows how to get PowerPoint to insert a pixel-perfect image with zero compression and zero resizing, please let us know.

-- Tony

Nov 2, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Thanks guys. Bill I had a go at resizing the picture and it is clearer. There is still some resolution loss but it should be OK for the presentation on Friday. Thanks for the heads up on the printing.

Nov 2, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Also, check that the PowerPoint resolution is set to Use Current Resolution or whatever your Highest Fidelity setting is (Slide Show tab, Monitors pane). If it's set to the lowest, fastest setting, it'll always be fuzzy).