Seed of an idea: NodeXL to web via d3.js/SVG

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Just wanted to plant a seed of an idea that someone might want to develop further. Recently I've been looking at the d3.js library which includes support for rendering small interactive force layout diagrams in SVG. Something I was interested in doing was seeing if I could export NodeXL data into d3.js and came up with this http://mashe.hawksey.info/2011/10/nodexl-to-web-via-d3/ 

This solution is a little rough around the edges but might be useful for a future release of NodeXL. In the meantime someone with a little more know-how than me might want to develop a major to produce the force.json file.

If someone wants to take this on help to share my knowledge of d3.js

Martin 

Coordinator
Oct 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Great idea!

It would be very useful to be able to publish networks in an interactive form directly to the web.

I do have some concerns about scale and performance, but for modest sized networks this could be a useful solution.

Thanks!

Marc

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Thanks Marc. Yes scale is an issue mainly because d3.js applies a physics engine to node layout. It's perhaps a separate thread or something that has already been covered, but I was wondering if a flat svg output option would be better. SVG has been hanging about in the wings for years now, but as all the major browsers now support svg markup I wonder if it would be worth revisiting (have yet to find a free XPS to SVG converter).   

Martin