Vertices tooltip - controlling size

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Hi - is there a way to control the dimensions of the tooltip box? I have a lot of text in some tooltip cells - the tooltip displays such boxes as a single long tooltip box, if possible I would prefer to square the tooltip boxes.

Thanks for any suggestions

Jim

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Jim:

At the moment, no.  You can wrap vertex labels (Graph Options, Labels, Vertex labels, Wrap text), but not tooltips.  I'll mention that as a feature request.

The only workaround I can think of is to insert line breaks (Alt+Enter in Excel) in the Tooltips column, but with any more than a few vertices, that would be very tedious.

-- Tony

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Too bad this Alt+Enter doesn't work for Labels! I have some labels I want to wrap and others that I do not.

Can you add to the wishlist to make the "Wrap Text" Graph Option a Vertex option?

thanks

patti
Coordinator
Mar 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Edited Mar 8, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Hello!

NodeXL makes it easy to associate a tool tip with a node. Just select a value in the Autofill Columns menu for Vertex Tooltip.

The tooltip menu will list every column heading in the spreadsheet. If you prefer, two or more columns can be concatenated using the Excel "&" function.

This can allow you to show a Node's name, and last message, for example. Several elements can be linked up to create a composite label with lots of information about that node.

However, the labels get long and can be hard to read or even exceed the screen size. It would help to wrap the text in the tooltip (or label). Inserting a Line break can be accomplished by inserting CHAR(10).

Add:

"&CHAR(10)&"

between text strings or references to cells containing text strings to create

multiline tool tips.

Marc
Mar 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Patti:

"Too bad this Alt+Enter doesn't work for Labels!"

Alt-Enter does work for labels. If you want a line break within a label, type Alt-Enter in the Label cell.

-- Tony
Mar 8, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Pilot error -- the Alt+Enter does work for labels... Thanks for the help!