How can I extract an ego-network from a whole network in NodeXL?

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Hi all

is there a way to extract ego networks from whole networks? What I need is ego, the immediate alteri and the relations among the alteri.

Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks

Marten

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Marten:

Yes.  Please see "Can I make a subgraph for just one node?" at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/discussions/68441.

-- Tony

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:09 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Tony, exactly what I was looking for. Just in case I overlooked it: Is there a way to automatically copy attribute values over to the newly created network as well?

Best
Marten

Marten Düring

Kulturwissenschaftliches Institut Essen
Goethestr. 31
45128 Essen

Tel. 0049 / 201 7204 158

www.kulturwissenschaften.de
www.memory-research.de

Von: tcap479 [notifications@codeplex.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 27. September 2011 18:28
Bis: Marten Düring
Betreff: Re: How can I extract an ego-network from a whole network in NodeXL? [NodeXL:273953]

Marten:

Yes. Please see "Can I make a subgraph for just one node?" at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/discussions/68441.

-- Tony

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Marten:

Is that not working for you?  When I use NodeXL, Data, Export, Selection to New NodeXL Workbook, the attribute values in the selected rows get copied to the new workbook, as they should.

I can't remember if earlier NodeXL versions failed to do this.  What version do you have?  You can find out at NodeXL, Help, About.

-- Tony

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:22 PM
Hi Tony

I have the latest version - all relations get copied, attribute values not. Could this be because I copied them directly from another excel sheet?
(I use a seperate excel file to collect data and use the nodexl option to import relations.)

Best

Marten

Marten Düring

Goethestr. 31
45128 Essen

Tel. 0049 / 201 7204 158

www.memory-research.de

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 28. September 2011 19:15
Betreff: Re: How can I extract an ego-network from a whole network in NodeXL? [NodeXL:273953]

Marten:

Is that not working for you? When I use NodeXL, Data, Export, Selection to New NodeXL Workbook, the attribute values in the selected rows get copied to the new workbook, as they should.

I can't remember if earlier NodeXL versions failed to do this. What version do you have? You can find out at NodeXL, Help, About.

-- Tony

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:27 PM
Edited Sep 28, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Marten:

NodeXL will export all columns that are part of the Edges and Vertices tables.  Are your attributes included in those tables?

By "table," I mean the rows and columns that are distinguished by their blue backgrounds in the NodeXL workbook.  The Vertices table in an empty NodeXL workbook runs from columns A through AB, for example.  Column AC is not included in the table.

Normally, if you add columns to the right of the table (at column AC in the Vertices table, for example), Excel will automatically expand the table to include those columns.  However, it's possible to turn off that "auto-expand" feature, and if you've done so, your added columns will not be included in the table, and NodeXL won't export them to the new workbook.

If that's what's happening, then please see "What to do if NodeXL's tables don't auto-expand" at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/discussions/257006.

-- Tony

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:42 PM
Tony thank you for this - will give it a try next time. For now copy/paste did the job.

Also thanks for a great experience using NodeXL - I think it started out great and has improved since. I recommend it to anyone new in the field and love to see the new features coming up with each version!

Best

Marten

Marten Düring

Goethestr. 31
45128 Essen

Tel. 0049 / 201 7204 158

www.memory-research.de

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 28. September 2011 21:27

Marten:

NodeXL will export all columns that are part of the Edges and Vertices tables. Are your attributes included in those tables?

By "table," I mean the rows and columns that are distinguished by their blue backgrounds in the NodeXL workbook. The Vertices table in an empty NodeXL workbook runs from columns A through AB, for example. Column AC is not included in the table.

Normally, if you add columns to the right of the table (at column AC in the Vertices table, for example), Excel will automatically expand the table to include those columns. However, it's possible to turn off that "auto-expand" feature, and if you've done so, your added columns will not be included in the table and so NodeXL won't export them to the new workbook.

If that's what's happening, then please see "What to do if NodeXL's tables don't auto-expand" at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/discussions/257006.

-- Tony

Sep 30, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Thank you for the kind words, Marten.  I'm glad you've found the program useful.

-- Tony