Where is Schemes now located?

Sep 21, 2011 at 12:00 AM

I'm using the most current version (1.0.1.177) of NodeXL.  I can't find Schemes in my Visual Properties. I have autofill columns, color, opacity, visibility, vertex shape, vertex size and edge width.  Background (as shown on p. 172) of the Analyzing social networks book) is also missing.

Are these options context sensitive (i.e. do I need to have something else checked off, turned on, highlighted before these will appear) or have Schemes and Background been moved to another menu? Thanks.

Laura

Sep 21, 2011 at 12:38 AM
Edited Sep 21, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Laura:

Background can now be found in Graph Options, which is at the top of the graph pane.  (If your graph pane is narrow, there will be a down-arrow in the upper-right corner that will show Graph Options for you.)

The Schemes feature was removed a while back.  You can perform the same tasks using NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Group by Vertex Attribute, which assigns a unique shape and color combination to vertices that share an attribute; and NodeXL, Analysis, Autofill Columns, which offers more fine-grained control over individual visual properties.

Groups are more powerful than schemes ever were, because you can collapse and expand groups, select them, calculate graph metrics for them, and lay out the groups in boxes that are sorted by group size.  If you're interested in learning more about them, go to NodeXL, Help, Help and check out the Working with Groups topic.

-- Tony

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Thank you Tony. I was able to locate all the features from your descriptions.

I don't know how many are using the book, "Analyzing Social Media Networks with NodeXL", where I read the now outdated instructions for the Schemes and Background feature locations. Has anyone considered putting the book online in a wiki format so edits and changes can be made on the fly? I suppose it could be password protected and available only for users who have purchased a copy.

Laura

Sep 24, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Not that I know of.

-- Tony