Distance of linked Vertices

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Hi, i have a network which holds parent-child type relationships. Is it possible to layout related vertices in close proximity to each other? For example, I would have a parent vertex with say 5 linked children vertices, this pattern is repeated multiple times at multiple levels - is it possible to create graph with child vertices wrapping around the parent vertex in close proximity?

thanks for any advice you can give

Jim

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:01 AM

Jim:

Have you tried the Sugiyama layout algorithm?  It handles some hierarchical graphs quite well.

To use the Sugiyama layout algorithm, go to NodeXL, Graph, Layout in the Ribbon and set it to Sugiyama.

-- Tony

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Hi Tony - thanks for suggestion. I am currently loading full dataset, will try your suggestion and let you know how i get on

Jim

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Jim,

Have you used the Sugiyama algorithm for the parent-child dataset?  If so, how did it work for you?  - Thanks.

John

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Hi John - thanks for the nudge, it doesn't really do the job satisfactory. It tends to place associated parent and child vertices at different points in the graph i.e. a parent could be at one position, with its child not close by (even though there may be no other links to the child vertex other than a single parent). Ideally, it would place them nearby. Does this make sense to you? I am happy to discuss further and share graph privately

thanks

Jim