Error in importing excel file

Sep 2, 2011 at 10:26 PM

I have started using NodeXL for sometime and like it a lot. Now I am trying to use it for an application involving around 140K nodes. The file is already in the format needed for NodeXL but every time I try to import that excel file into NodeXL the system gets stuck and never succeeds in importing process. Can we use NodeXL for such big data? Is there a limit on the data size? Please let me know. Hope to hear back soon! 

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:03 PM
Edited Sep 3, 2011 at 6:09 PM

It takes a long, long time for Excel to import data when Wrap Text is turned on.  Try turning it off before importing your data, and I bet your import will go much faster.  We are considering turning it off automatically before a large graph is imported.

To turn off Wrap Text, do the following:

1. Select the first data cell in the Edges worksheet, which is A3.

2. Press Ctrl+A on the keyboard to select the entire Edges table.

3. In the ribbon, click the Home, Alignment, Wrap Text button.  The button will become "unpressed" to indicate that Wrap Text is turned off.

4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 for the Vertices worksheet.

-- Tony

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:08 PM
Edited Sep 3, 2011 at 6:39 PM

This might solve the import problem, but in general your graph is too large for NodeXL to handle well.  It's going to take a long time to show the graph in the graph pane, and it won't be very responsive when you select vertices and move things around.  I usually tell people that NodeXL works best with a few thousand vertices and edges.  People have used it for much larger graphs, but it takes a lot of patience.

Have you looked at SNAP, the Stanford Network Analysis Platform?  It can handle huge graphs with ease:

-- Tony

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:08 AM

Thanks Tony for the early response. I will try to turn off the Text Wrap option and retry it. Also, thanks for suggesting SNAP, I will explore that as well :)

Thanks again :)

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Importing has been done successfully. Thanks!

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:28 PM

In version of NodeXL, Text Wrap will be turned off automatically when a large graph is imported.

-- Tony