Degree of edges with edge weight > x?

Aug 26, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I have a network where most nodes are connected to each other, and would like to focus on nodes connected by edges with a high edge weight (e.g., a node might have degree 40 but only 2 edges with an edge weight greater than 50).

Ideally, I'd like to do things like change the vertex attributes based on this number and use dynamic filters based on this number.

The closest I've come is to select edges with a weight greater then my cutoff criterion, export the result, and use that workbook for further analysis. This gives me what I'm looking for in the degree column, but I completely lose a lot of information (e.g., nodes that don't connect to any other nodes with a high enough edge weight).

Is there a way to handle this in nodexl? For example, is there a way to add a column that shows how many edges a vertex has with edge weight > x?

Thanks!

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:40 PM
Edited Aug 29, 2011 at 7:38 PM

It sounds like for each vertex, you want to loop through the Edges worksheet and count the number of edge rows that have the vertex in either the Vertex 1 or the Vertex 2 column and have an edge weight > x.  I don't know how to do that with an Excel formula, which is my preferred solution for such problems, but it can be done pretty easily with a simple function written in VBA, Excel's built-in programming language.  If you're a programmer or know someone who is, you can insert such functions into a NodeXL workbook just as you can with any Excel workbook.

Perhaps someone else has a clever formula-based solution to this problem.

-- Tony