Graph of collapsed nodes

Aug 21, 2011 at 7:25 AM
Edited Aug 21, 2011 at 7:26 AM

The documentation suggests that once you create groups and collapse them then the graph will just show those collapsed nodes with a '+' sign in them. I don't seem to be able to get this representation when I refresh the graph after selecting all the groups.

Aug 21, 2011 at 8:06 PM
Edited Aug 21, 2011 at 8:08 PM

This is how collapsed groups work.  Please tell me which step isn't working properly for you.

1. You can create groups using one of three menu items on the NodeXL, Analysis, Groups menu.  For demonstration purposes, I use Group by Connected Component.

2. Once you create groups, you can view them in the graph pane by showing the graph.  By default, the vertices in each group are assigned a unique vertex shape/color pair.

3. You can collapse one or more groups by 1) selecting the Groups worksheet; 2) selecting the rows for the groups you want to collapse; and 3) selecting NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Collapse Selected Groups in the Ribbon.  Collapsed groups are shown in the graph pane with a plus sign.

4. If you refresh the graph, the collapsed groups will remain collapsed in the graph pane.

(You can find out more about groups by going to NodeXL, Help, Help and selecting the Working with Groups topic in the Contents tab.)

-- Tony

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:17 PM
Here is a screen shot with the groups and non updated graph. You can also the legend problem on this screen shot as well. Note I set the colours differently in the groups sheet and the legend is still with the defaults. Dr Laurence Lock Lee llocklee@gmail.com Ph: 0407001628 On 22/08/2011, at 6:06 AM, tcap479 wrote: > From: tcap479 > > This is how collapsed groups work. Please tell me which step isn't working properly for you: > > 1. You can create groups using one of three menu items on the NodeXL, Analysis, Groups menu. For demonstration purposes, I use Group by Connected Component. > > 2. Once you create groups, you can view them in the graph pane by showing the graph. By default, the vertices in each group are assigned a unique vertex shape/color pair. > > 3. You can collapse one or more groups by 1) selecting the Groups worksheet; 2) selecting the rows for the groups you want to collapse; and 3) selecting NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Collapse Selected Groups in the Ribbon. Collapsed groups are shown in the graph pane with a plus sign. > > 4. If you refresh the graph, the collapsed groups will remain collapsed in the graph pane. > > -- Tony > > Read the full discussion online. > > To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com) > > To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com > > You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com. > > Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com > Here is a screen shot with the groups and non updated graph. You can also the legend problem on this screen shot as well. Note I set the colours differently in the groups sheet and the legend is still with the defaults.

Dr Laurence Lock Lee
Ph: 0407001628

On 22/08/2011, at 6:06 AM, tcap479 wrote:

This is how collapsed groups work. Please tell me which step isn't working properly for you:

1. You can create groups using one of three menu items on the NodeXL, Analysis, Groups menu. For demonstration purposes, I use Group by Connected Component.

2. Once you create groups, you can view them in the graph pane by showing the graph. By default, the vertices in each group are assigned a unique vertex shape/color pair.

3. You can collapse one or more groups by 1) selecting the Groups worksheet; 2) selecting the rows for the groups you want to collapse; and 3) selecting NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Collapse Selected Groups in the Ribbon. Collapsed groups are shown in the graph pane with a plus sign.

4. If you refresh the graph, the collapsed groups will remain collapsed in the graph pane.

-- Tony

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:25 PM
Edited Aug 21, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Dr. Lee:

Unfortunately, attachments aren't allowed in CodePlex discussions, so your image didn't make it through.  But if you want to post an image, you can do so by creating a new "issue" on the Issue Tracker tab at CodePlex (http://nodexl.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic).  The Issue Tracker tab accepts attachments.  You don't have to explain anything in the new issue; I'll know what it is.

Regarding the legend, I mentioned in reply to your other recent post (http://nodexl.codeplex.com/discussions/269844) that the legend does not show group information.  Am I misunderstanding your question?

-- Tony

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:22 AM
Edited Aug 22, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Dr. Lee:

I can now see your image, but it doesn't show me enough information to let me figure out what's wrong.  If you can post the entire NodeXL workbook to the Issue Tracker tab, I'll try it here.

Thanks,
    Tony

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:47 AM

Any progress on thios Tony?

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:33 PM
Edited Aug 29, 2011 at 3:34 PM

As I mentioned on August 21, the image you posted does not show me enough information to tell me what's going wrong in your workbook.  If you can post the workbook at the same place you posted the image (http://nodexl.codeplex.com/workitem/21370), I'll take a look at it and see if I can figure it out.

(You may not have seen my reply.  You need to either periodically check back at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/discussions/269843 to see replies, or tell CodePlex to send you email when someone replies to you.)

-- Tony

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:52 AM
I thought I had posted it ... will look again.

Dr Laurence Lock Lee
Ph: 0407001628

On 30/08/2011, at 1:33 AM, tcap479 wrote:

As I mentioned on August 21, the image you posted does not show me enough information to tell me what's going wrong in your workbook. If you can post the workbook at the same place you posted the image (http://nodexl.codeplex.com/workitem/21370), I'll take a look at it and see if I can figure it out.

(You may not have seen my reply. You need to either periodically check back at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/discussions/269843 to see replies, or tell CodePlex to send you email when someone responds to you.)

-- Tony