tooltip on links between vertices.

Jul 28, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Hi - is it possible to add tooltip information to the links between vertices?

I am trying to add information describing the nature of each relationship (beyond directional arrows).

Thank you for any suggestions you may have

Jim

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Yes!  NodeXL can assign any cell's value to the tooltip on a vertex.

See Autofill Columns for an easy way to set the connection between a tooltip and a column value.

-

Marc

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Hi - thanks for the suggestion. I may be misinterpreting but are you are referring to Vortex tooltip?

I am hoping to turn the Edge label into a tooltip (or add a tooltip on top of an existing edge label)?

Apologies if I'm not picking up on your suggestion incorrectly - I'm pretty new to NodeXL but like it a lot

Thanks for your time

Jim

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2011 at 12:36 PM

I think I did misunderstand.

NodeXL can place labels on Edges.

Edges in NodeXL do not have tooltips.

Edge can have a width, opacity, color, style (dashed, solid, dotted) and label text.

Edges may optionally display a directional arrow head (if the network is directed).

-

Marc

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:46 PM
Hi Marc,

Is there any chance of adding this feature? It would be extremely useful.
It would be the only instance I know of in any Social Network software.

Peteer

On Thu, July 28, 2011 7:36 am, marcsmith wrote:
> From: marcsmith
>
>
> I think I did misunderstand.NodeXL can place labels on Edges.Edges in
> NodeXL do not have tooltips.Edge can have a width, opacity, color, style
> (dashed, solid, dotted) and label text.Edges may optionally display a
> directional arrow head (if the network is directed).-Marc
>
>
Jul 28, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Hi Marc - thanks for your swift responses.

I would support Peter's suggestion for inclusion in future release - I think it would be extremely valuable addition

Thanks

jim

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I can see the utility!  Thank you for the suggestion.  I will investigate with the team.  I do wonder about the performance issues and user experience when the mouse travels through the network visualization.  Testing for all those hit targets seems demanding, but I will ask about this at our next meeting.

Regards!

Marc

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Marc - thanks for bringing request to the larger team. Would you mind letting us know the outcome with the team - if it's considered to be a runner for future release?

Thanks again

Jim

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:51 PM
Edited Aug 2, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Jim:

There are a couple of ways to implement edge tooltips, and neither is satisfactory.

First, we could pop up a tooltip when the mouse is hovered directly on the edge.  The problem here is that edges are often just one pixel wide, and placing and holding the mouse over such a narrow target would be a frustrating exercise at best.

A second technique would be to pop up a tooltip when the mouse is hovered over the edge's label, which offers a larger target.  This would present a usability problem, because you might fill in the Tooltip column on the Edges worksheet without realizing that you also have to fill in the Label column to get the tooltips to work, and then conclude that the tooltip feature is broken.  And who is to say that those who want tooltips also want labels?

In both cases there is a potential performance hit, as Marc mentioned.

In short, I think there is a good reason for Peter's observation that no other social network software offers this feature.

-- Tony