Scrolling through the NodeXL window

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Hi,

I LOVE this tool! it's amazing!

I have a question. My graph is huge but the NodeXL window in Excel is very tiny. Is there a way to increase the size of the window and scroll through it in all directions?

Thanks,

Mohammad

Jul 16, 2011 at 4:28 PM
Edited Jul 16, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Mohammed:

I’m glad that you’ve found NodeXL useful.

NodeXL doesn’t use scroll bars for the graph, but you can increase the size of the Graph Pane or detach it entirely from the main Excel window. You can also zoom into the graph and then move around the zoomed-in details.

To resize the Graph Pane:

1. Hover the mouse over the vertical divider between the Graph Pane and the NodeXL worksheets. The mouse cursor changes to a double-headed arrow.

2. Drag the vertical divider to the left or right.

To undock the Graph Pane from the main Excel window:

1. Drag the Graph Pane's title bar, the one that says "Document Actions." You might have to drag the title bar a considerable distance before the Graph Pane becomes undocked.

To dock the Graph Pane to the main Excel window:

1. Drag the Graph Pane's title bar to one of the edges of the main Excel window.

To zoom into the graph (technique 1):

1. Drag the Zoom slider at the top of the Graph Pane.

To move around the zoomed-in graph (technique 1):

1. Click anywhere in the Graph Pane.

2. Hold down the space bar on the keyboard.

3. Hold down the left mouse button and drag the mouse around the Graph Pane.

To learn about other techniques for zooming and moving around the graph:

1. Go to NodeXL, Help, Help in the latest version of NodeXL.

2. Go to the topic “Zooming, Moving Around and Scaling the Graph.”

-- Tony

http://www.nodexlgraphgallery.org

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Thanks, Tony!

I actually tried all these things, and read the help section you referred me to but nothing worked because my graph is really huge with a lot of vertices and the only thing that would solve it is basically to make the graph pane larger with scrolling feature- something like what mspaint has, something that's really simple can help a lot!

Another question. Is there a way to export the graph to MS Visio? I think Visio has great capabilities when it comes to playing with graphs. 

--Mohammad

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:22 PM

You can certainly export the graph as an image and import that into Visio.  Right-click the graph pane, then select Save Image to File.

You can also export the graph as an XPS file using the same command.  XPS is a scalable vector format, similar in concept to PDF.  I don't know if Visio will import an XPS file, though.

-- Tony