Built source code nodeXL on Visual Studio 2008 errors. Help?

Jun 27, 2011 at 2:47 AM

Hi, I have to built a small demo. I downloaded source (NodeXL 1.0.1.171 zip) on NodeXL.codeplex.com/releases/view/68800. When I click rebuilt solution, 1 error apear: 

"A project with an output type of class library cannot be started directly. In order to debug this project, add an executable project to this solution which references the library project. Set the executable project as the startup project".

What I have to do successfull rebuilt?

I have Windows XP professional SP2, Office 2007 and Visual studio 2008 professional.

I will be glad of any advice!

Thanks so much!

Jun 27, 2011 at 5:22 AM

Are you really getting that error when you select Build, Rebuild Solution in Visual Studio 2008?  I believe the error message is actually appearing when you attempt to debug the solution (Debug, Start Debugging), not when you rebuild it.

The error message is telling you that you cannot debug the solution's startup project.  Of all the projects that appear in Solution Explorer (Adapters, Algorithms, etc.), one of them is the current startup project that Visual Studio launches when you select Debug, Start Debugging.  If the current startup project builds a non-executable DLL, Visual Studio issues the complaint above.

To fix this, right-click the ExcelTemplate project in Solution Explorer, then select Set as StartUp Project in the right-click menu.  Now when you select Debug, Start Debugging, Visual Studio will launch the ExcelTemplate project by opening Excel.

-- Tony

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Thanks Tony!

As your guide, Excel opens. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:44 AM

As your guide, excel opens, but one error:

"E:\...\NodeXLSourceCode_1.0.1.170\NodeXL\ExcelTemPlate\bin\debug\NodeXLGraph.xltx could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file location is correct.

If you are trying to open the file from your list of most recently used files, make sure that the file has not been renamed, moved, or deleted"

My solution: Copy NodeXLGraph.xltx from ExcelTemplate to Exceltemplate\bin\debug

Excel opens with NodeXL, but design tag appears, NodeXL tag's not appear, document Actions's not appear.

Please help me a solution to solve the problem.

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:01 PM

When you build NodeXL, Visual Studio automatically copies the NodeXLGraph.xltx template file to the bin\debug folder.  You should not have to copy it manually.

Try this:

1. Select Build, Clean Solution to delete all the built files so you can start from scratch.

2. Select Build, Rebuild Solution.

3. Using Windows Explorer, look in the NodeXL\ExcelTemplate\bin\Debug folder.  Isn't there a NodeXLGraph.xltx file in that folder?

4. If the answer to 3 is "yes," select Debug, Start Debugging.  Visual Studio should start Excel, and Excel should open the NodeXLGraph.xltx file.

-- Tony

Jun 27, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Hi, Tony!

Sorry to bother You again

Follow your guide, when Starting Debugging Visual Studio appear 1 errors:

"can not find the certificate that matchs. The project system thumbprint. To sign the application and deployment manifests, open the project Designer, click the signing page tab, select an existing certificate and try again"

I had tried to find Project Designer ( have 19 projects in ExcelTemplate) but no result. 

If abort errors, Excel run, NodeXL tag didn't appear, document Action tag didn't appear.

Please help me a solution to solve the problem.

Thanks a lot!

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:21 PM

1. Right-click the ExcelTemplate project in Solution Explorer.

2. Select Properties from the right-click menu.

3. In the ExcelTemplate properties page, click the Signing tab.

4. Select "Select from Store..." or "Create Test Certificate."

-- Tony

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:42 AM

You are kind. Thanks a lot. 

I wish you success on the path of scientific research.

Vũ Thu Thảo