Document Action/Graph Pane not showing

May 22, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I can't get the Graph Pane to show at all.  I tried multiple demos (Kite, Serious Eats).  Pressing the NodeXL->Refresh Graph or View->Document Actions doesn't seem to do the trick.  'Refresh Graph' seems like it is doing something, but no graph appears.   I do have PowerPivot loaded on Excel 2010 (32-bit). 
Any thoughts?

May 23, 2011 at 1:28 AM

1. Did the NodeXL setup program seem to run fine, without any error messages?

2. Do you get an error message of any kind when you open the NodeXL template?  If so, please copy and paste the message here, including any "Details" if they are available.

3. I don't know if PowerPivot interferes with NodeXL, but as an experiment you might try disabling PowerPivot before attempting to open the NodeXL template to see if it's a problem  Instruction for disabling an add-in can be found at

-- Tony

May 23, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Hi Tony,

I've tried uninstalling both entries in the Program List, rebooting and re-installing as administrator.  I have disabled the Lync, PowerPivot, and Solver add-ins.  I haven't seen any error messages during installation.  Is there a log file somewhere I can look at?  This is on an MSIT build.  But it still doesn't work.

I just tried this on a second home machine (win7, Office 2010) and the Kite example is working fine.  I do have to press 'Document Actions' to get the Graph Window to open.  Also PowerPivot is installed on that version and it works fine.. 

If I come across any differences between the 2 builds, I'll let you know.

May 23, 2011 at 2:41 PM

I understand that there were no error messages during installation.  Do you get an error message of any kind when you open the NodeXL template via the Windows Start menu?  We've had several cases of the template failing to open, but I think there has always been an error message of some sort.  If the template is opening without an error message but with no graph pane, then this is a new one for me.

I'm not sure what you mean by "MSIT build."  Are you a Microsoft employee using a version of Windows that is under development?

-- Tony

May 23, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Hi Tony,

Yes I'm a Microsoft employee but I'm using the standard build.
The only message I get the first time I install NodeXL is:

"Would you like to open a samlpe NodeXL template?..."

The graph window doesn't open regardless of what I choose.

May 24, 2011 at 2:10 AM

I don't know what's going wrong on your work computer.  When we've had startup problems with NodeXL, they've always prevented NodeXL from running at all.  (The startup problems usually have to do with security settings, something called ".NET Programmability" being turned off, or a Parallels bug on the Mac.)  But on your computer, it sounds like NodeXL is actually running.  I can tell that because you're being asked a question about the sample NodeXL workbook, and that question can't be asked if NodeXL isn't running.

So it sounds like something is wrong with the Document Actions pane in Excel, which NodeXL uses for its graph pane.  I don't know what can lead to that pane refusing to show, but I'll let you know if I can find more information.

One more question that will confirm my theory: Do you have a NodeXL tab in the Excel Ribbon when you open a NodeXL workbook?  If the NodeXL tab is there, then NodeXL is running fine but the graph pane is mysteriously hidden.

-- Tony

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:31 PM
Edited Jun 3, 2011 at 7:56 PM

I had installed nodexl today, (windows xp spanish, office 2010) but various bugs are present. The most important Document Action/Graph Panel IS not showing. There was an error just after opening nodexl:

The type initializer for '' threw an exception

Then, i accept the message.

There is no Document Action/Graph Panel showing

After i try to configure color for example, another error:

Assertion Failed: Abort=Quit, Retry=Debug, Ignore=Continue

at TaskPane.AssertValid()

at TaskPane.WorksheetContextMenuManager_RequestEdgeCommandEnable(Object sender, RequestEdgeCommandEnableEventArgs e)

at WorksheetContextMenuManager.AddEdgeContextMenuItems(Range oClickedRange)

at WorksheetContextMenuManager.EdgeTable_BeforeRightClick(Range Target, Boolean& Cancel)

at ListObject.OnBeforeRightClick(Range targetRange, Boolean& cancel)

at ListObjectSupport.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Excel.IListObjectListener.BeforeRightClick(Object targetRange, Boolean& Cancel)

at ListObjectListenerContractAdapter.BeforeRightClick(IntPtr targetRange, Boolean& cancel)

at ListObjectAdapter.OnBeforeRightClick(Range targetRange, Boolean& cancel)

at ListObjectAdapter.Worksheet_BeforeRightClick(Range targetRange, Boolean& cancel)

at DocEventSink.Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.DocEvents.BeforeRightClick(Range Target, Boolean& Cancel)

at RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Si......

Anular Reintentar Omitir

After selecting [omitir] several times, another message:

Microsoft NodeXL

An unexpected problem occurred. If it occurs again, please copy the details to the clipboard by typing Ctrl-C, then post the details to

[NullReferenceException]: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.TaskPane.GetEdgeCommandEnableFlags(IEdge oClickedEdge, Boolean& bEnableSelectAllEdges, Boolean& bEnableDeselectAllEdges, Boolean& bEnableSelectAdjacentVertices, Boolean& bEnableDeselectAdjacentVertices)

at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.TaskPane.WorksheetContextMenuManager_RequestEdgeCommandEnable(Object sender, RequestEdgeCommandEnableEventArgs e)

at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.WorksheetContextMenuManager.AddEdgeContextMenuItems(Range oClickedRange)

at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.WorksheetContextMenuManager.EdgeTable_BeforeRightClick(Range Target, Boolean& Cancel)

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:36 PM
Edited Jun 3, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Update, after opening

the panel "acciones de documentos" opened, but without any image

same for the other files

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:12 PM

[I'm consolidating the posts from alguien2011 to a new discussion at -- Tony]