An unexpected problem occurred when gathering Tweets

May 18, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Is this a result of it reaching Twitters limit on number of tweets being archived?

---------------------------Microsoft NodeXL---------------------------An unexpected problem occurred.  If it occurs again, please copy the details to the clipboard by typing Ctrl-C, then post the details to http://www.codeplex.com/NodeXL/Thread/List.aspx.

Details:

[COMException]: Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC

Server stack trace: 

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Range.set_Value(Object RangeValueDataType, Object )
   at Microsoft.Research.CommunityTechnologies.AppLib.ExcelUtil.SetRangeValues(Range upperLeftCornerMarker, Object[,] values)
   at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.GraphImporter.SetRangeValues(Range oUpperLeftCornerMarker, Object[,] aoValues)
   at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.GraphImporter.ImportVertexAttributes(IGraph oSourceGraph, String[] asVertexAttributes, Dictionary`2 oVertexDictionary, ListObject oVertexTable)
   at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.GraphImporter.ImportVertices(IGraph oSourceGraph, String[] asVertexAttributes, ListObject oVertexTable, Range oVertexNameColumnData, Range oVisibilityColumnData)
   at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.GraphImporter.ImportGraph(IGraph sourceGraph, String[] edgeAttributes, String[] vertexAttributes, Boolean clearTablesFirst, Workbook destinationNodeXLWorkbook)
   at Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.ThisWorkbook.ImportGraph(IGraph oGraph, String[] oEdgeAttributes, String[] oVertexAttributes)---------------------------OK   ---------------------------

May 18, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Steven:

What version of NodeXL are you using?  You can tell by going to NodeXL, Help, About Microsoft NodeXL in the Excel Ribbon.

There was a bug in an earlier version of NodeXL that involved Tweets that started with an equal sign, which confused Excel, but that has been fixed.  That's why I need to know the version.

Thanks,
    Tony

May 18, 2011 at 4:08 PM
Tony

its

version 1.0.1.161

Steven McDermott
Doctoral Candidate
Institute of Communications Studies
University of Leeds
Leeds
LS2 9JT
http://www.google.com/profiles/stevenmcdermott
http://ics.leeds.ac.uk/staff/cssem

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 5:00 PM, tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Steven:

What version of NodeXL are you using? You can tell by going to NodeXL, Help, About Microsoft NodeXL in the Excel Ribbon.

There was a bug in an earlier version of NodeXL that involved Tweets that started with an equal sign, which confused Excel, but that has been fixed. That's why I need to know the version.

Thanks,
Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

May 18, 2011 at 7:33 PM
Edited May 18, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Please tell me which type of Twitter network you are importing (Twitter User's Network, Twitter Search Network, or Twitter List Network), along with ALL of the "Import from Twitter..." dialog box settings you are using.  I'll see if I can duplicate the problem here.

-- Tony

May 19, 2011 at 7:34 AM
Hi Tony

The settings are

Import from Twitter User's Network

adding a setting for both
add a vertex for following/followed
mentions
replies to
Levels to include 1.0
Add a latest tweet
I have a twitter account and I have authorised NodeXL to use my account to import Twitter Networks

Steven

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 8:33 PM, tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Please tell me which type of Twitter network you are importing (Twitter User's Network, Twitter Search Network, or Twitter List Network), along with ALL of the dialog box settings you are using. I'll see if I can duplicate the problem here.

-- Tony

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

May 19, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Thanks, Steven.  You forgot the username of the user whose network you're trying to get.

-- Tony

May 19, 2011 at 3:53 PM
hi its a list of users 14 in all and done individually.

LSCityNews
StuffinLeeds
ccLeeds
Leedslocalwire
armley
leedsbot
leedstelevision
leedslovers
Leeds24
LUFCNewsRoom
Infamy4Rochdale
EMBARGOROCHDALE
culturevultures
Slimboball

the same error occurred with other lists though - so I don't think its particular to the users I am inputting.

Steven

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 4:41 PM, tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Thanks, Steven. You forgot the username of the user whose network you're trying to get.

-- Tony

May 19, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Darn.  I was hoping it was an oddball tweet in a particular user's network that was causing problems with Excel.

I can't get the problem to occur on my computer with any of the users you mentioned.  That means that something unusual is going on with yours.

What happens when you start from scratch using the default dialog box settings?  In other words, try this:

1. Close Excel.

2. Open the NodeXL Excel Template.

3. Run NodeXL, Data, Import, From Twitter User's Network without changing any dialog box settings.  It will be for a user named bob.  Does it work?

4. How about NodeXL, Data, Import, From Twitter Search Network?  Does it work?

-- Tony

May 19, 2011 at 4:37 PM
If I run in bob it works fine. It will collect last tweets from the list I sent you - up to about 15000 but then the error appears. It will still download followers etc but the last tweets don't appear.

Let me run your suggestions and get back to you tomorrow.

Steven

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone

Date: 19 May 2011 09:16:40 -0700
To: <stevenmcdermott@gmail.com>
ReplyTo: NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com
Subject: Re: An unexpected problem occurred when gathering Tweets [NodeXL:258066]

Darn. I was hoping it was an oddball tweet in a particular user's network that was causing problems with Excel.

I can't get the problem to occur on my computer with any of the users you mentioned. That means that something unusual is going on with yours.

What happens when you start from scratch using the default dialog box settings? In other words, try this:

1. Close Excel.

2. Open the NodeXL Excel Template.

3. Run NodeXL, Data, Import, From Twitter User's Network without changing any dialog box settings. It will be for a user named bob. Does it work?

4. How about NodeXL, Data, Import, From Twitter Search Network? Does it work?

-- Tony

May 19, 2011 at 6:18 PM

You've lost me.  I thought you were running the Import from Twitter User's Network feature 14 times, once for each of the users in the list you provided above, and that the error was occurring each of the 14 times.  When I run Import from Twitter User's Network for the first user in your list, LSCityNews, I successfully get 577 users in the network.  Where is the 15,000 number coming from?

-- Tony

May 19, 2011 at 7:29 PM
The number relates to the latest tweets from all those members of the network. Following and followed.

Steven

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone

Date: 19 May 2011 11:18:10 -0700
To: <stevenmcdermott@gmail.com>
ReplyTo: NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com
Subject: Re: An unexpected problem occurred when gathering Tweets [NodeXL:258066]

You've lost me. I thought you were running the Import from Twitter User's Network feature 14 times, once for each of the users in the list you provided above, and that the error was occurring each of the 14 times. When I run Import from Twitter User's Network for the first user in your list, LSCityNews, I successfully get 577 users in the network. Where is the 15,000 number coming from?

-- Tony

May 19, 2011 at 9:41 PM
Edited May 20, 2011 at 4:08 AM

Steven:

Again, you've lost me, and we should probably start from scratch.  If you could please provide a complete list of the steps you're taking that lead to the bug you've reported, I'll try to get it to occur on my computer so I can understand what's going wrong.  Here is a sample list of steps:

1. Start, All Programs, Microsoft NodeXL.

2. In the Ribbon: NodeXL, Data, Import, From Twitter User's Network.

3. In the Twitter User's Network dialog box: LSCityNews, Both, Followed/following, Replies-to, Mentions, Levels=1.0, Add a Latest Tweet, I have a Twitter account and I have authorized...

4. When I click OK, I get the error message "[COMException]: Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC".

Actually, I made up step 4 -- I don't get an error message, which leads me to believe that I'm not following the same steps as you.

Thanks,
   Tony

May 20, 2011 at 10:29 AM
Hi Tony

Think I didn't make it clear enough that I am not simply collecting One Twitter Users account but a list and placing them in the same NodeXL file - it does not clear the table with each run of Twitter User account - they all end up in the same file.

As I sent earlier here are my steps that I have tried to get as accurate as possible - I realise I left a few out.
The settings are

1. Start, All Programs, Microsoft NodeXL.

2. In the Ribbon: NodeXL, Data, Import, Unclick - Clear NodeXL Workbook first - From Twitter User's Network.

3. In the Twitter User's Network dialog box: LSCityNews, Both, Followed/following, Replies-to, Mentions, Levels=1.0, Add a Latest Tweet, I have a Twitter account and I have authorized...

repeat 2-3 for each of the Twitter accounts LSCityNews, LUFCNewsRoom [...]

4. When I click OK, It runs fine until I get half way through the list of Twitter account users -- then I get the error message "the original one I emailed you".

5. I can continue to run steps 2 - 3 but each time I get the same error message. Yes it collects the edges but...

6. In the Vertices section the Latest Tweets column is empty from the time of the Run of steps 2-3 in which the error message first happened. It no longer Collects Latest Tweets.

no rush on this at my end and thanks for your patience

Steven

May 20, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Now I understand.  I was missing the part about combining multiple users' networks into the same NodeXL file.

I will see what's going on here and I'll get back to you, although there may be a delay.  Thanks for reporting the bug.

-- Tony

May 20, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I can now get the bug to occur on my computer, which is the first step towards fixing it.

-- Tony

May 30, 2011 at 4:51 PM
Edited May 30, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Steven:

I tracked it down.  The bug occurs if you uncheck NodeXL, Data, Import, Clear NodeXL Workbook First AND import multiple networks into the workbook AND one of the networks includes an attribute that starts with an equal sign.  In your case, someone named fhr_studio has a Description in Twitter that starts with "= Music & Sound Constructions..."  The equal sign looks like the start of a formula to Excel.

This bug will be fixed in version 1.0.1.170 of NodeXL, which will be released in about a week and a half.  Thanks again for helping me track it down.

-- Tony