Multiple Relationships

May 10, 2011 at 2:43 AM

I have use the 'other columns' on the edges sheet to load up data for multiple relationships. I'd like to explore the networks for each of the relationship columns and also calculate the metrics for each one. I would also like to filter the relationships e.g. the column data is numeric and represents a strength of relationship....so I can show just the relationhships with the highest strength value. I would like to recaclulate the metrics just on this subset of the graph ... but it appears that the metrics are only calculated on the original network .... am I missing something?

May 10, 2011 at 6:24 AM
Edited May 10, 2011 at 6:25 AM

I believe this is related to the "Multiple Relationships" discussion you just posted at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/discussions/256988.  Once you fix that problem (see my reply in that discussion), your "other columns" will become part of the Edges table.

Any table column in Excel can be filtered on.  To filter on a table column, click the down-arrow in the column's header, then use one of the filters that Excel offers you.  For example, on a numeric column, you can set a filter so that only rows with values greater than 50 are visible in the table.

When the Edges table is filtered using Excel table column filtering, NodeXL reads only the visible edge rows and ignores the rest, including when it calculates graph metrics.  I think this will give you what you want.

-- Tony

Marked as answer by MarcSmith on 7/5/2016 at 7:07 PM
May 17, 2011 at 6:33 AM

Hi Laurie,

Look up Dynamic Filters in the NodeXL book (see button across the top of the graph pane) - if you perhaps use Autofill Columns to represent the strength of the relationships with an edge width (or opacity maybe), you can then use Dynamic FIlters to filter out the lower strength relationships.

I'm not sure about recalculating the metrics- I wonder if you just need to create separate Nodexl files to do this?

Alternatively, depending on what you want to do this might work: Order the rows according the relationship strength column (see arrow button at top of the column in question), then choose your cut-off point and set Visibility to skip for all those you wish to ignore (or use Autofill Columns, vertex Visibility, Vertes visibility options and set using your cut-off weight) . See Adavanced Topic "Visibility Column Options page 88  "If you choose to calculate Graph Metrics after some vertices are skipped, metrics will be calculated as if those vertices do not exist."

Serena

May 17, 2011 at 7:36 AM

Tks Serena .... my initial problem was the table not covering the extra columns I added. I'll have a go at the metrics thing. Basically I'm trying to replicate all the things we do in Netdraw in NodeXL....slowly going through it when I get a chance.

Apr 15 at 4:28 PM
Hi,

I have been trying to get NodeXL to recalculate metrics after filtering out edges, but it does not appear to recalculate. I get the same values on all metrics regardless of whether I have filtered the edges.

Can someone confirm this?

thanks,

/patti
Coordinator
Apr 15 at 5:36 PM
If you set the "Visibility" of an Edge to "Skip" it will not be included in calculations.

Marc

Marked as answer by MarcSmith on 7/5/2016 at 7:07 PM
Apr 15 at 6:05 PM
Ah, Thank you!