Social Network Analysis for Small Businesses

Apr 17, 2011 at 5:39 AM

Hey there,

I am doing a research on small businesses holders in Pakistan. Found your software and I am looking forward if it can help me about this?

I want to know how small business holders in Pakistan are using and utilizing social media. For example If i need to know the network graph of any page on facebook? does nodexl helps in that?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks..

Coordinator
Apr 17, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Hello!

Thank you for the interest in the NodeXL project!

NodeXL has data provider "spigots" to deliver a variety of data sets.

A Facebook ego-network data provider is available through a 3rd party tool from Dr. Bernie Hogan at the Oxford Internet Institute.  The tool generates a network data file in GraphML format that can be imported into NodeXL.

The Facebook data provider is described here:

http://www.connectedaction.net/2010/04/25/bernie-hogans-facebook-social-network-data-provider-and-visualization-toolkit/

This tool does not offer access to networks in Facebook pages, just the ego-network around any logged-in user.

We are exploring a Facebook page network extractor that may be available in the coming months.

NodeXL does have other spigots for Twitter, YouTube, flickr, WWW, email and other network data formats like UCINet DL files, GraphML, matrices, edge lists, and Pajek files.

Regards,

Marc 

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Dear Marc,

Thanks for your quick response.

I hope network extractor for Facebook Pages will come out soon.

Anyways, If i need to know that how a particular account has been utilized of Twitter or Facebook, then is it possible through Nodexl?

For example that how the relationship network of any particular account has increase or decrease through passage of time?

Do let me know if it is possible.

Looking forward for your prompt response.

Coordinator
Apr 18, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Hello!

NodeXL has three twitter network importers and connects with the Facebook egonetwork importer described above.

The network for any user in Twitter can be extracted using NodeXL today.

Networks for Facebook users require that user to log in to Facebook using NodeXL.

Changes in networks over time can be tracked if the network is collected regularly.  With a series of daily snapshots of a network, for example, you can then use the "Aggregate Overall Metrics" feature in NodeXL to collect data about each network slice over time.  

See: http://www.connectedaction.net/2010/12/28/aggregate-overall-metrics-feature-finding-patterns-in-collections-of-many-networks-using-nodexl/

Regards,

Marc

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:05 PM

NodeXL will tell you about a particular Twitter account's relationships right now, not in the past.  You could use NodeXL to view that account's relationships today, then do the same thing a week from now, then two weeks from now, and then manually compare all the results to see how the relationships changed over that time, but I suspect that's not what you're asking for.

-- Tony