Vertex Labels when grouping/collapsing

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:23 PM

First of all I like your tool very much! Great work!

My question is regarding the grouping feature:

Is there a way to show labels of collapsed group vertices within the graph? I am doing a grouping by Attribute column (which is of type: categories) and like to have the categories as labels for the collapsed group vertices.

Without labels its not really possible to find out which group/category a collapsed vertex represents. Its either not visible in the "Groups" or "Group Vertices" sheets.  I've thought of workaround of doing a VLOOKUP into the "Vertices" sheet to attach the categories into the "Group" and "Group Vertices" sheets but still there would be the problem of missing labels within the graph.

Thank you very much for your help and keep up the good work!

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:23 PM

NodeXL doesn't provide labels on collapsed groups, although that is an excellent idea.  I've added it to our feature request list.

However, it is indeed possible to find out which group a collapsed vertex represents.  If you switch to the Groups worksheet and then select a collapsed vertex in the graph pane, the group's row will be selected in the Groups worksheet.  (The reverse is true as well.)  Or is that not what you meant?

-- Tony

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Hi Tony,

thank you very much for adding this as feature request.

Yes, I recognized that it is possible to see which group a collapsed vertex represents by clicking on it. However, the direct link to the category attribute is missing in that way. If you perform the action "Group by Vertex Attribute" and group by your category attribute, you will get groups which are named "G1", "G2", "G3" ....  Those names are not very meaningful compared to the category names of your attribute (e.g. "apples", "oranges", ....) and thus give no direct hint to the semantics of the grouping. I think using the category names as group names would improve usability of the grouping feature very much.

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Yes, you have a good point.  In version of NodeXL, which will be released approximately a week and a half from now, the category names will be used for the group names.  Thanks for the suggestion.

-- Tony

Mar 19, 2011 at 6:00 PM

You are using groups, so you might want to try our latest group-related feature.  From the release notes for version, released a few days ago:

* When your graph has groups (NodeXL, Analysis, Groups), you can now tell NodeXL to lay out each group in its own box. Go to NodeXL, Graph, Layout, Layout Options and select "Lay out each of the graph's groups in its own box and sort the boxes by group size." You can also tell NodeXL to show each box's outline and hide the intergroup edges.

-- Tony