"UNnormalize" centrality measures & clustering coefficient

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:11 PM

I saw many discusion topics coordinated by Tony (tcap479), but none on the topic below. If anyone can please help me, I'd be very gratefull!!

I'm working with a NODEXL processed data set, and the centrality measures (betwenness, closeness, eigenvector), and the clustering coefficient seem to be given normalized. Is there a way to "UNnormalize" them inside the NODEXL itself? It would be quicker to calculate them only for the desired nodes than process the entire networks again...

Jordi

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Jordi:

The centrality metrics are not normalized in newer versions of NodeXL.  Are you using an older version?  I ask because they used to be normalized, but that was changed a while back.  You can tell which version you have by going to NodeXL, Help, About Microsoft NodeXL in the Excel ribbon.  As of today, the latest version is 1.0.1.161 and can be obtained here:

http://nodexl.codeplex.com/releases

-- Tony

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:02 PM
Thank you lots, Tony!
The thing, for me, it's if my "old" metrics can be easily trsnlated no UNnormalized metrics, without having to process the raw data again, wich are lots... ans, takes loads of time! :-(
Bests,
Jordi S. Guzmán i Conesa
Salvador Espriu 44, 3r 2a
08380 Malgrat de Mar
935157824 (mòbil amb tarifa de fix!)
Feb 23, 2011 at 6:22 PM
Edited Feb 23, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Jordi:

I misunderstood.  No, NodeXL can't unnormalize metrics; it can only calculate them all from scratch.

NodeXL does have an automation feature that will recalculate the metrics on a folder full of workbooks.  That would still take a lot of time, but at least it would spare you the trouble of manually opening, recalculating, and saving a bunch of workbooks.  If that would help, you can find it at NodeXL, Graph, Automate.  I recommend backing up the original workbooks before automating them.

-- Tony

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:03 AM
Thanks a lot Tony.
I'll take a look and perform as you said, even if it takes time, its aeasier than recalculate the values another way!
Bests,
Jordi S. Guzmán i Conesa
Salvador Espriu 44, 3r 2a
08380 Malgrat de Mar
935157824 (mòbil amb tarifa de fix!)