Vertex with both Image and Label

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Hi, I am a new user of nodexl and it is a fantastic tool. As I was experimenting with it using a small set of manual data, I was wondering if it possible to show both a label as well as image for each vertex? And if the label can be a hyperlink? Thanks

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:32 PM
Edited Feb 22, 2011 at 7:45 PM

NodeXL has two types of labels:

* Label shape.  When you set the Shape column on the Vertices worksheet to Label, the vertex appears as a box containing the text you enter in the Label column on the Vertices worksheet.

* Label annotation.  When you set the Shape column to some other shape, the vertex appears as that shape with the Label text next to the shape.

So here is how to show both an image and a label annotation for a vertex:

1. Set the Shape column to Image.

2. Set the Image File column to the path to your image file.

3. Enter your label text in the Label column.

I'll answer your second question in a separate post.

-- Tony

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:38 PM

To answer your second question, a label cannot be a hyperlink.  However, you can add hyperlinks to the popup menu that appears when you right-click a vertex in the graph pane.  Here's how:

1. Click Options at the top of the graph pane.

2. Click Menus, Customize in the Options dialog box.

3. Read the instructions that appear.

-- Tony

Feb 22, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Thanks Tony. very helpful.

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Is this supposed to take a long time?  Excel/NodeXL hangs when I click on "yes".  I can get out of it by selecting 'cancel' on the Graph Options. Is there something else I need to do?

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Here is what is supposed to happen when you click the Menu button in the Graph Options dialog box.  (The dialog box has changed somewhat since I wrote the original instructions on February 22.)

1. An explanatory message pops up, and you are asked whether you want to add a pair of columns to the Vertices worksheet.  I'm including the expanatory message in the next post for reference.

2. If you click Yes, the explanatory message closes and you'll be back to the Graph Options dialog box.

3. You can close the Graph Options dialog box by clicking Cancel.

4. In the Vertices worksheet, you'll have a new pair of columns at the right edge of the worksheet.  You may have to scroll to the right to see them.

Is that not happening?

-- Tony

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:19 PM
Edited Jun 1, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Use this to add custom menu items to the menu that appears when you right-click a vertex in the graph pane.

Clicking "Yes" below will add a pair of columns to the Vertices worksheet -- one for menu item text and another for the action to take when the menu item is selected.

For example, if you add the column pair and enter "Send Mail To" for a vertex's menu item text and "" for the action, then right-clicking the vertex in the NodeXL graph and selecting "Send Mail To" from the right-click menu will open a new email message addressed to

If you want to open a Web page when the menu item is selected, enter an URL for the action.

If you want to add more than one custom menu item to a vertex's right-click menu, run this again to add another pair of columns.

Do you want to add a pair of columns to the Vertices worksheet?
Yes   No  

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Sorry, yes I found that the columns were there. The UI is very confusing, as the hourglass keeps ticking, even though it apparently did create the columns. I had just discovered it when your email came through. 

Thanks for being so quick!

I have another question about labels, but will make a separate discussion.

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:39 PM

I see what you mean.

-- Tony