the most difficult question ever posed here

Feb 15, 2011 at 5:43 AM

I downloaded nodexl and have been playing around with it for a few hours. Interesting piece of software except that I cannot add vertex names to any graph I produce. Since this is a basic necessity for almost any graph can someone clue me in on how to do this basic process please? Thanks.

Feb 15, 2011 at 5:54 AM

Hello!  Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

Labels can be manually set by editing the "Label" column in either the Vertices or Edges worksheet.

In some cases these columns may be hidden.

They can be made visible via the NodeXL>Show/Hide>Workbook Columns, or manually via the spreadsheet hide/unhide controls.

Labels can also be set via via the Autofill Columns feature that allows any workbook value to map to the label setting.

Vertex Label Position is another attribute that may be of interest.  Note that it can be set to conditionally apply a label by setting the location to "None" to hide any labels for a vertex that fails to meet a condition.

Feb 15, 2011 at 6:26 AM

yeah i tried that...about 50 times with no luck. Nothing works. I'm just about to delete this program as if it cant do the basics what use is it.

Feb 15, 2011 at 6:27 AM

3 hours of lost time. goodbye nodexl..its now off my hard disk forever!!! wish i had my 3 hours back but oh well.

Feb 15, 2011 at 6:56 AM
Edited Feb 15, 2011 at 4:03 PM

I'm sorry you ran into a problem you couldn't resolve.  If anyone else runs into the same problem, here is one way to add labels to vertices in NodeXL:

1. Use Windows Start Menu, All Programs, Microsoft NodeXL, NodeXL Excel Template to create a new NodeXL workbook.

2. Enter an edge list in the Edges worksheet.  As an extremely simple example, enter "A" in the Vertex 1 column and "B" in the Vertex 2 column.

3. In the Excel ribbon, click NodeXL, Graph, Show Graph.  This shows the graph in the graph pane on the right side of the Excel window and also adds each of the graph's vertices to the Vertices worksheet.

4. Switch to the Vertices worksheet.  (You do that with the set of tabs at the lower-left corner of the Excel window.)  It has two rows, one for each vertex.

5. Go to NodeXL, Show/Hide, Workbook Columns and make sure that Labels is checked.

6. Fill in the Label column on the Vertices worksheet.

7. Click NodeXL, Graph, Refresh Graph.  The graph in the graph pane should now have labels.

8. If the graph doesn't have labels, go to NodeXL, Show/Hide, Graph Elements and make sure that Vertex Labels is checked.

There is an advanced technique called Autofill Columns that Marc mentioned, but that's just an automated way to do what was done manually in the steps I've outlined here.

-- Tony

Feb 16, 2011 at 7:40 AM

tried it all...about 50 go....

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:42 AM

Thanks Tony for the post, works just fine!

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:22 PM
there seems to be an underlying problem with Vertex Labels. they don't automatically show up.
trying to set them manually with the Vertex Properties panel results in a java exception.
Is there a Java version problem or library missing??

the java expection includes: (intprr hwnd, int32 ms, wparam, lparam)

and ends with
Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.sheet2.thisworkbook_attributesEditedInGraphObjec sender, attributeseditedeventargs e)

what do I need to do to get the vertix labels to work correctly.

populating the column in the spreadsheet - does not work at all - it must be a silent error
the ToolTip column works just fine