GDI+ Code

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Hello - I am going to try and integrate NodeXL (great work by the way) into a Mono application for cross-platform use. Mono doesn't have any support for WPF, but it does have some helpers that can convert GDI+ to Pango for rendering on a GTK drawing object. I'm interested in trying to resurect the old NodeXL GDI+ code for this purpose. I've found that it is available in revision 28776. Does anyone have any experience using the old GDI+ visualization support? Before I go down this path, I'm curious is anyone knows of any major complications I might encounter. Thanks.

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:51 AM
Edited Dec 18, 2010 at 3:58 AM

I don't know much about Mono or Pango, but it's a shame that you have to take such a huge step backward because of their lack of WPF support.  We've been continuously improving NodeXL since the last GDI+ -based release --adding features, fixing bugs, and refactoring the codebase-- and you would lose two years of work by going back to the December 2008 source code.

But if you must do it, note that you will need to work with the December 2008 code as a whole, and not try to stack the old visualization layers on top of the latest version of the lower layers.  The various layers have been modified together over time, with no attempt made to preserve compatibility with the old GDI+ layers.

Good luck!

-- Tony