Importing UCINET files & German Umlaute

Dec 15, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Dear Tony,

I tried to import a UCINET full matrix file the other day which worked fine. However, Umlaute (ä,ü,ö) in names and ' - symbols etc. were not recognized and were represented as question marks. Is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks,

Marten

Dec 15, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Marten:

Where did the UCINET full matrix file come from?  If it came from UCINET, I don't believe that program supports Unicode.  The umlaut is included in the Unicode character set.  It is not included in the ASCII character set, which is what many older programs are limited to.  I couldn't get Unicode to work in UCINET version 6.221, which is the version I have, and I can find no mention of character sets on the Web site of analytictech.com.

NodeXL will actually import a UCINET full matrix file that contains Unicode characters, but that file has to come from a program that supports Unicode.

-- Tony

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I imported data from an Excel sheet into Ucinet (V. 6.232) and saved it in Nodelist1 format. I can't tell whether this is ASCII or Unicode, but the äs,ös and üs are there. Not sure, but does that mean my Ucinet version can handle Unicode? The problem occurs only after I try to import it in NodeXL..

Thanks,

Marten 

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Marten:

If you can give me your UCINET file, I'll take a look at what's going on.  Please create a new item on NodeXL's Issue Tracker tab at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic, and attach the file there.  (You can't add attachments on the Discussions tab.)  You don't need to explain anything; I'll know what it is.

-- Tony

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Marten:

I see your .##d and .##h files, but I need the .DL file that you are trying to import into NodeXL.  NodeXL doesn't support .##d and .##h files.

Also, do you have a smaller example that demonstrates the problem?

Thanks,
    Tony

Dec 16, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Marten:

If you convert your UCINET file to Unicode, you will be able to import it into NodeXL while retaining umlauts and other non-ASCII characters.  To do so, follow these steps:

1. Open the UCINET file in Notepad.

2. Select File, Save As.

3. At the bottom of the Save As dialog box is an "Encoding" drop-down.  Set it to UTF-8.  (UTF-8 is a compressed version of Unicode.)

4. Save the file, optionally giving it a new file name.

5. Import the saved file into NodeXL.

-- Tony

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:20 AM
It works! Thank you Tony